View Single Post
Old 08-17-06, 11:23 AM
Shark

bdawg31 has between 750 and 999 Rep Pointsbdawg31 has between 750 and 999 Rep Pointsbdawg31 has between 750 and 999 Rep Pointsbdawg31 has between 750 and 999 Rep Pointsbdawg31 has between 750 and 999 Rep Pointsbdawg31 has between 750 and 999 Rep Pointsbdawg31 has between 750 and 999 Rep Points
Default grinding....

Yep. I have recently 'started over' and i am back to grinding bdawg-old-school. I notice that when i am at the lower levels - well within my bankroll - i can shrug off the two outers. I can get down 20-30 big bets and not be all that phased by it and still remain emotionally neutral.

When i move up too quickly - then i get flustered. People often talk about that 300 BB rule, and that is a nice guide, but i also think you need to find your 'emotional' point as well. Maybe that is 300 BB. Maybe 500 BB. I am finding that it fluctuates for me as i move up. For example, while i am grinding out 1/2 i can emotionally withstand a loss of 50 big bets a lot easier than if i am playing 5/10 - even if my bankroll is exponentially equivalent. Does that make sense? So, i think i might need 300 BB for 1/2 and feel fine with the fluctuations - but i think i might need like 400 or 500 BB for 5/10. That does not sound logical i guess, but emotion is a part of the game in my opinion and needs to be taken into account.

I am rambling - but i am on a roll....

I find the 'grind' of grinding can get to me as well. If i get to restless (i call it 'punchy') - i find that i try to push too much or get to clever. So, i need to mix it up. I take breaks from grinding LHE by either changing games or playing sit n goes or low-buy-in MTTs. I have found that the switching of games has been a beneficial thing. Say if you feel comfortable playing 2/4 LHE. When you are ready for a break from grinding - try some .50/1 Omaha. Or some low buy-in stud. I am glad i have done this. The low-level games are pretty soft in all games, and i think you will find that you can turn a profit in these games as well.