View Single Post
Old 10-02-06, 01:41 PM
Adminimus Maximus

Talking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep Points

I haven't read the very large post above yet - that's next on my list - but you guys really need to step back, take a deep breath and slow down.

As I have said from the beginning, the problem isn't so much this new law as it is the poker sites reaction to it. Party is a publicly traded company and they are worried about their share prices, which are about to completely tank anyway... but they have decided it is in the best interests of their shareholders to pull out from the U.S. Market. Do I agree with them? No. But that's their choice. Not allowing you to deposit or play on their site DOES NOT mean they aren't going to let you cash out. You guys who are thinking these big sites are going to suddenly say "screw you" to U.S. players and keep all of their money are crazy. That's just not going to happen, as doing that would pretty much turn a big hit into their business into a game over hit when word got out and everyone else pulled their money from these sites. You'll still be able to get your money out.

What surprises me is that Poker Stars is even THINKING about closing it's doors to U.S. players. This is a privately owned company, so they don't have to worry about their share prices. And even when this new bill becomes a law, it will be a LONG TIME before Stars feels the full affects of it (people not being able to deposit), and even when they do, so what? There are tons of U.S. players with money on the site now, the banks have said it will be a year until they can "regulate" all their transactions, and so on and so forth. I have no idea at all why Stars would make this move so prematurely. I think it's ridiculous. But again, that's their choice. Hopefully someone over there will come to their senses and not overreact prematurely - just like you guys who want a refund of your league money are (for example).

What will happen to this site? Well, as far as I am concerned - nothing. If I have to remove links to the sites that fold, so be it... but this site isn't going anywhere. This is a public forum that discusses poker playing. There is nothing wrong with that and it's not illegal. If that changes someday, I'll deal with it then, but I'm not going to freak out and close up shop, withdraw all my money from online and move to Vegas to start playing in live games just because of some stupid bill in Congress that I don't understand.

This recent legislation has dealt a huge blow to poker, yes, but by no means does this mean it's "Game Over" for everyone. The sites that don't prematurely overreact stand to get a lot of new business thanks to Party closing it's doors.

Right now, I'm in Wait and See mode, and that's exactly how all of you should be too. If you are uncomfortable with having your money on a given poker site, go ahead and withdraw it, but I'm 99% sure there is no reason to. They aren't going to steal it from you, even if they do decide to not let you play any more.

Got RakeBack?
27% at Full Tilt | 33% at Cake Poker | 30% at Carbon Poker