View Single Post
Old 11-12-06, 03:34 AM
Fmr. Resident Asshole

Aequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsAequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsAequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsAequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsAequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsAequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsAequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsAequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep Points
Default Arsenal Upgrade: Stealing against Limpers. NLHE MTT

This may or may not be an "article," but I was able to illustrate something tonight that I'd like to share. Depending on your proficiency with NLHE MTTs, this may or may not be useful for you.

We all know it's important to not only survive in MTTs, but we need to chip up. It's tough (and disheartening!) to go far in a tournament and simply run out of gas because of missed opportunities. Cashing just "in the money" is almost useless compared to the top-heavy payout structure.

How do we chip up?
Well, we win pots, or we sure as hell steal them. The standard raising situation occurs when you are LP, and you attempt to steal the blinds. I'd rather not going into stealing hands, stack size considerations, and player reads, because I want to talk about a different stealing situation: against Mp-LP limpers.

Here's the scenario: It's beginning to get late into the tournament. The bubble may or may not be approaching, but the blinds and antes are enough to be worth fighting over. You have an average stack, but you realize that staying average is going to suck with the next blind level 6 minutes away.

You're in late position. Watch what people do. Generally, at this stage, opponents are raising good Aces, maybe broadway suited Kings, and pairs 66+. If you have a good read on your opponent, you'll have a better understanding of his possible range, but I don't think this is too far off. Regardless, at this level (w/ antes) players are usually limping with much weaker hands: KTs, silly suited Aces probably down to A5s, baby & sometimes middle pairs, QJo, etc.

It's important to realize that limping is weak when you've had the chance to open the pot for a raise. Basically, the opponent says, "I have a limping hand." And now you have to respond. I don't care what my hand is, I'm punishing the limper, and stealing his money.

The players to act behind are left to think: Ok - limper wants to play, but Hero raised... then they evaluate their hand, which usually sucks, so they fold. Goes back around to the limper, and now he has a choice to make. Well, it would have been nice to see a flop with QJ, but I have to call 3x my original bet amount? I mean, what could Hero have? At least an Ace, if not a pocket pair... Etc.

Sometimes, things just don't work out, but that's ok. You might have your bluff re-raised, but this is to be expected, because it'll happen occasionally. Don't stop doing what you have to do! Focus on decisionmaking and looking for opportunities to steal, because let's face it, it's not often we're hit with the deck.

Here's an example of the line. This is taken from tonight's Stars $4 180 SnG, which I'm still playing in, and currently ITM (on life support!)

Seat 1: ingloo (6230 in chips)
Seat 2: huskies33 (5995 in chips)
Seat 3: Timasticore (4989 in chips)
Seat 4: kellygirl63 (3230 in chips)
Seat 5: EsqWire (6230 in chips)

^ I'm not doing too bad. I had recently (w/in 2-3 orbits) been moved from a table with 2 chipleader stacks, so this is where I'd much rather be.

Seat 6: HotPinkie26 (6205 in chips)
Seat 7: JustinSean (6110 in chips)
Seat 8: t-roy14 (4480 in chips)
Seat 9: Just due it (11360 in chips)
ingloo: posts the ante 25
huskies33: posts the ante 25
Timasticore: posts the ante 25
kellygirl63: posts the ante 25
EsqWire: posts the ante 25
HotPinkie26: posts the ante 25
JustinSean: posts the ante 25
t-roy14: posts the ante 25
Just due it: posts the ante 25
HotPinkie26: posts small blind 100
JustinSean: posts big blind 200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to EsqWire [2s 9c]
t-roy14: folds
Just due it: folds
ingloo: folds
huskies33: folds
Timasticore: folds
kellygirl63: calls 200

^ Limping from LP? Limping from LP when there are antes? Don't limp from LP - it's incredibly weak, especially when you have the opportunity to open for a raise.

EsqWire: raises 600 to 800

^ I always raise in this situation, and cards don't matter. The limper has shown me that he's already weak, and the players to act behind have to worry about not only my raise, but the fact that limper might call.

HotPinkie26: folds
JustinSean: folds
kellygirl63: folds
EsqWire collected 925 from pot
EsqWire: doesn't show hand

^ Standard!

So what do we need to know?
-When you're in late position, pay attention to what people are doing before you.
-Late in the tournament, it's imperative that you chip up: look for stealing opportunities not only from the blinds, but from MP-LP limpers!
-Limping is weak, it's not suggested!
-When doing this bluff, I like to raise 3x-4x the original bet. If person limped for 500, then I make it 1500 or 2000 to go.
-NEVER min raise, because you're bluffing with air, and min raises don't have fold equity. You're hoping the opponent finds a fold here.

If you don't already selectively use this type of bluff, you should really considering experiementing with it. Don't let miss opportunities keep you from that deep cash! GL.