View Single Post
Old 03-20-08, 02:00 AM
Poker? Yeah, three times a night!

GTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep Points

First, a few things I've gathered from the situation (I actually called Bobby because of something different today and I asked him about his feelings):

These ideas are usually presented by the team media director or someone from MLB in the middle of last year. From my understanding, a conference call was held with Francona, Schilling, Youkolis, sox brass, and maybe a few others...dates were talked about, compensation, etc etc...at this point it was tossed around that everybody would be compensated (players, coaches, staff, etc).

Bobby was picked to coach the all-star team that went to Japan a few years ago and I remember them talking about this the next year (it was the off season before my first year I think). Every staff member from Andruw to the trainers were paid the same 25k or whatever to go.

At some point over the last few weeks, it was relayed that only the players would be getting compensated and not all the staff members. This was something that (for whatever reason) was unknown to all of Red Sox team staff. Francona actually has been trying to have a dialogue about the situation and he could not get a response from MLB up until yesterday. When it came down to it, things were finally made public when the Red Sox had their team meeting this morning.

Every team that has gone to Japan since the Mets in 2000 has been compensated (all staff members going on the trip).

For reference, the Red Sox bullpen catcher makes 40k a year...so, this was a big thing.

From what I gathered from Bobby, everybody on the staff had pretty much spent the money cause they had no reason to believe they weren't getting the bonus.

------
1) It's not like it's "extra" work, other than the getting to and from part. It's actually cool to get to go to Japan for work, at no cost, imo.

It actually is kinda like extra work. It is how many hours on a plane. A few exhibition games. A few clinics. All sorts of extra press. Two real games. Then they go back to LA and have 3 exhibition games in the LA Colusium. Then 2/3 games in Oakland. They are away from Boston for 19 days. Add to that, it is beyond retarded to have 2 real games, then 3 exhibition games, then the rest of the season. All while flying back and forth across the globe.

To me, the odds of MLB telling them they would get it, then going back on it were very small. As was stated, it was probably a miscommunication of something that was blown out of proportion. I know how things can travel around an office, or a high school. I imagine it's the same way in a big league clubhouse. Rumors swirl, but whatever the reason, I was skeptical that they were truthfully "owed" anything.

While this is most definitely the case, just like HS...every team that has played in Japan either as exhibition or real games has been compensated (every person that has gone on the trip). Trainers. Extra coaches. Players. The manager. That's why everybody was mad. Francona spoke with the teams that went in the previous years and every person on the trip was compensated.

And from what I understand, that's how it was sold to the Red Sox last year, as well.

I totally understand getting your money, but still...."Wahhhhhhhh."

You know?

It's kinda tough to take this attitude. I mean, many of them make a few hundred thou for coaching a bunch of major league baseball players for 8/9 months a year. But...they don't want to spend time away from their family any more than the next guy. And, if they can avoid flying 8000 miles right before the beginning of the season...they'd really like to avoid it.

And yes, they could probably go the whole trip without spending more than cabfair and maybe a few meals would cost. However, it was sold to the team as people getting compensation and everybody else before them got compensation.

Yeah, you make kings run in to them.