Thread: whos the best?
View Single Post
Old 12-11-05, 06:49 AM
Fish

helmuths henchman has between -50 and -11 Rep Points

I think its hard to determine the best poker player. It's not all cut and dry like asking who is the greatest homerun hitter ever (Hank Aaron) or the best RB of all time (Walter Payton). With poker as much skill as there is there is also some luck. You could know all the odds but there is still some luck for the exact card you need to come out. Also put into perspective Chan won 2, Doyle won 2, I believe Ungar won 3. However look at the field size. It's definately easier to win in a field of 50-100 than it is 2000-6000. If I had to pick 1 I guess it would be Harrington. 2 out of the last 3 final tables during the era of the poker boom, not to mention he won 1 as well. Also look at Raymer, ya some of his calls might have been the wrong move and he caught cards but he did win the second largest field and finished like 25th in thee largest field. A few people said Ivey. It seems like in these big fields he is always in at least the top 50. Thats why I think it is to hard to name the best when the criteria isn't concrete.