Thread: Ethics Question
View Single Post
Old 02-27-07, 08:04 PM
Poker? Yeah, three times a night!

GTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep Points

Advocating the changing of your name is different from making it illegal or forbidden.

To change your screenname is to take advantage of the next logical point in the anonymity of the internet. And that, my friend, is what is so great about the internet.

Is it really any more ethically wrong than the act of gambling or taking the person's money to begin with? Does Phil Ivey owe it to everybody to play as Phil_Ivey?

Where would you start the giant scale of ethics?

Situation 1:
If you don't like the headsup question...What if I told you there was this guy that has a gambling problem...dude gives out money like an ATM. But damnit, he sure does love poker. His screenname is blahblahblah. Is it ethically wrong to take his money if you see him sitting all alone at a table?

What if you take your winnings and provide for your family or donate it to charity? Or you buy new equipment for the kids on your bball team?

Situation 2:
What if the guy doesn't have a gambling problem and is actually just incredibly wealthy and playing with no stresses whatsoever...but, you take your winnings to invest in drug smuggling or gun running?

=============
Which is ethically worse? Situation 1 or situation 2?

Poker in and of itself can be considered ethically and morally wrong. I don't think this situation is any different than the use of extra programs to find stats on players that you may or may not have ever played against.

Yeah, you make kings run in to them.