View Single Post
Old 07-15-08, 10:23 PM
cha'DIch of the Poker Gods

Kurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep Points

Couldn't agree more. Mid-late stage SNG play is primarily playing relative stack sizes, not just relative to the blinds, but to each other as well.

I don't use ICM calculators either. I understand the basic concept, and the fine adjustment you need to make the calculator be a +EV tool over a basic conceptual understanding is, IMO, just way too fine to spend the mental energy.

In its simplest form, when deciding when to push/call, I ask myself these two simple questions. Opponent will push/call with Ax, so what is the lower limit of x, and he will push/call with AA-yy, so what is the lower limit of y.

In a basic sense, the unpaired non-ace hands in his range become somewhat irrelevant, because you should rarely open up your range to include a lower value of x because you will not be adding sufficient equity vs KT/QJ type hands to warrant expanding your range when not short or giant stacked.

Also note the above does not include bvb at the bubble since the basic ICM rule of "you cover, you shove" applies and your cards are irrelevant

The math needed to understand the concept is not rocket science.

Unpaired offsuit cards vs unpaired offsuit cards:

Your highest card < than opponent's lowest card: 2:1 dog

Your highest card < than opponent's lowest card > your lowest card: 3:2 dog

Opponet's highest card > Both your cards > opponent's lowest card: 11:9 dog

Old Norse adage