View Single Post
Old 12-20-08, 11:50 PM
squeezed the charmin

melioris has between 3000 and 3499 Rep Pointsmelioris has between 3000 and 3499 Rep Pointsmelioris has between 3000 and 3499 Rep Pointsmelioris has between 3000 and 3499 Rep Pointsmelioris has between 3000 and 3499 Rep Pointsmelioris has between 3000 and 3499 Rep Pointsmelioris has between 3000 and 3499 Rep Pointsmelioris has between 3000 and 3499 Rep Pointsmelioris has between 3000 and 3499 Rep Pointsmelioris has between 3000 and 3499 Rep Pointsmelioris has between 3000 and 3499 Rep Points

it is a tricky question for me and I will break it down into some component parts:

professionally: 2008 was more or less a wash. Several years ago we (my wife and I ) created a plan and we are, more or less, on track with that plan. Yet somehow it doesn't feel like we have made as much progress as we should have this year. I am taking that to mean the year is a wash. Adequate progress was made, but nothing specular.

Poker: terrible year. I cash out more than I made. Yes, there is a big reason for this and I still have not deposited since the original deposit, but the bottom line is that I should be making more than I am cashing out poker-wise.

Private: great year. I feel that I let the above two reason keep me from my family more than I should, but even so it was a good year. We got our remodeling project done, and while every remodeling is a compromise between aesthetic and budget, we came out on the good side of that deal (thanks to poker). My kids are healthy and seem to be developing wonderfully, my relationship with my wife is still the most important thing in my life, and I get to be the almost full-time (except mornings which I need to go to work and not talk to people) stay-at-home Dad that I always wanted to be. So despite the above two strikes against, it was a good year.

So all in all, I guess ultimately I am disappointed with what I accomplished for 2008 but I wouldn't trade it for what the year got done in my private life. Meh, fuck the professional and poker as long as the private is good.