View Single Post
Old 04-05-08, 07:35 PM
Adminimus Maximus

Talking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep Points

I can not get over these numbers. I keep going over it different ways, and I keep coming out with results that tell me I am a puss.

If I am reading this right, let's say you have a $1000 bankroll. If your HU SNG ROI is 10%, what this is saying is that you should be betting 10% (I'm going to round all numbers down - this almost exactly covers the rake anyway) of your bankroll to maximize your growth rate, or in this case, playing $100+5 matches. By doing so, there is a 1/3 chance that you will halve your roll to $500 before doubling it to $2000 (implying that there is twice as good a chance of you doubling your roll before cutting it in half).

Can that be right?

Taking it a step further, many people prefer to bet half of the optimal Kelly numbers, because doing so will yield 75% of the return, but with much less volatility. So, in our case of Mr. 10% ROI and $1000 roll, he should play $50+2.50 matches to be conservative.

That STILL amazes me.

Another example for the low-rollers: You have a $500 roll and a 5% ROI in HU SNGs (you play while sleeping, in other words). Kelly says you should be playing $25 SNGs, but to be ultra-conservative, you play in $10 ones, with virtually no chance of busting your roll.

Running my numbers (only counting my "virtual" bankroll - what I have online), Kelly says I should be playing $2k SNGs for optimal growth. The more conservative approach would be to play $1k ones.

Can that be right?

One thing not factored in here is that my actual ROI when playing at $1k or $2k limits would likely be MUCH less than the number I am using in these calculations - in fact, it could very well be a negative number, which throws everything out the window. If your ROI is negative (losing players), the optimal bet for you is of course $0.

Still though, everything about this tells me I should move up.

If I'm misinterpreted anything in the math or what it means, some please point out where.

Got RakeBack?
27% at Full Tilt | 33% at Cake Poker | 30% at Carbon Poker