View Single Post
Old 11-22-04, 08:05 AM
Captain Charisma!

GeoffM has between 100 and 249 Rep PointsGeoffM has between 100 and 249 Rep Points

Well, I won't argue for Artest too much because quite frankly I don't think he cares, but the NBA has got to let the players defend themselves. If Artest doesn't go into the stands there is no guarantee this would not have happened anyway, the beer that was thrown may have started a riot anyway. But to also suspend O'Neal and Jackson for so many games, the NBA is basically saying that you aren't allowed to stick up for your teammates. I think it is complete nonsense that Stern would suspend these players when they were simply trying to defend Artest, who got himself in a very dangerous situation. The league now not only stands to be sued by some fans, they also may have some legal action from those players involved.

But how much can fans really sue for? In my mind, you step on the court, you are somewhere you aren't suppose to be and the players have the right to fend you off. That Piston fan had no right throwing the beer and could get sued himself, as can the one that stepped on the court with his hands raised (what was he thinking? )

And whoever said Wallace doesn't deserve more than 6 games, huh? It is quite possible that had it not been for his retaliation push to the face of Artest, this whole thing never would have started. Granted the foul was uncalled for by Artest, but cooler heads have to prevail, that is what the NBA is trying to accomplish by this. To give one of the players that basically started this whole mess 6 games is a slap on the wrist and the Pacers must be very pissed right now, as would I.

I would expect the suspensions to be lightened, at least to O'Neal and Jackson. I thought Artest and Wallace deserved the long suspensions. And what happened to teams being held responsible for their fans in the stands?