Thread: stupid question
View Single Post
Old 09-16-08, 05:24 PM
Professional Amateur

Invigilator has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsInvigilator has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsInvigilator has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsInvigilator has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsInvigilator has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsInvigilator has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsInvigilator has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsInvigilator has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsInvigilator has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsInvigilator has between 1000 and 1499 Rep Points

Jdiana, hopefully you can distinguish between the honest answers that are try to help and the others.

I started out the wrong way. I was short stacking 25 max with a $70 BR. The more I look at it, the more I realize that I got 1-10000, shitass lucky to not go broke.

The link to Fergusons stuff is the most valuable.

If you have been following Penguin Fan's threads lately, you have seen how frustrating running bad can be.

Everyone WILL run bad.

POINT #1. To be able to deal with variance you need a proper sized BR.

You also need to avoid short stacking. Although it slows the bleed, your goal is to grow not bleed. So short stacking also limits profits.

POINT #2. Play a game where you can afford the max buy-in. (NL)

I am glad to hear you want to invest in poker software. I use pokertracker. Whatever you use, take the time to learn how to analyze the numbers. The best use of these programs is to help you review your play so you know your weaknesses. This analysis helps player to keep from deluding themselves about their play.

POINT #3. Get some software and analyze your play regularly and in a brutally honest way.

Finally, play the game. You are likely going to playing micro levels with many a donk. If you focus on getting the cash because you want the money, you will make sub-optimal decisions and you will go broke. Reread that last sentence about 50 times jdiana. We all want the money. But it comes from making +EV over a long period of time. In the short term, money will flow in and out like water. If you focus on the short term you will be in for an emotional rollercoaster that makes optimal play all but impossible.

POINT #4. Play the GAME. Focus on the GAME. Money will come if you do this well.

I say all of this as a person who survived many of these mistakes early. When these realities kicked me in the teeth, I adjusted before my BR was gone.