Thread: Big Brown
View Single Post
Old 06-11-08, 10:33 PM
cha'DIch of the Poker Gods

Kurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep Points

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you've never played professional baseball.

Of course, but you're making my point. Most of us recognize the level of skill needed to play at the highest level because we've played at some level or another. Like even trying to mimic turning a DP during fielding practice makes you realize the incredible skill it takes to do it, and the pros make it look easy!

Only a person who had never been on a horse would think that what a race rider does is easy. For a novice, even a mellow little one hour trail ride leaves you sore and stiff the next day. These guys ride 6-7 races per day, ride workouts for a few hours in the morning, all while basically starving themselves and occaisionally putting on a rubber suit and sitting in a sweatbox for a couple of hours to make weight.

It would be one thing if Shabi's comment was "I hate horse racing,. Its stupid and boring and I don't know what all the fuss is." That's an opinion, and it's fine, but saying a discussion of it doesn't belong in the *Sports* section is just wrong.

Not only that, but it's clearly the 2nd best gambling skill game in the world.

Old Norse adage