View Single Post
Old 06-11-06, 06:52 PM
Shark

Dodoubled has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsDodoubled has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsDodoubled has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsDodoubled has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsDodoubled has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsDodoubled has between 500 and 749 Rep Points
Post World Cup - For Real!

Since the last thread dissolved into some psychobabble about who's honorable on bets and who's not, why don't we pick up the REAL World Cup conversation here? Not that I should be the guy re-upping up the thread or anything, since I have two things working against me:

1.) I'm American, and therefore know nothing about the international soccer scene (but, strangely enough, anything and everything about women's golf), and:

2.) I've never played an ounce of organized soccer in my life.

However, I have covered the sport on the high school level for a local newspaper for four years, so I'm not completely blind to the structure.

Anyhow, the World Cup is rather intriguing to me. I remember how little I cared for it four years ago, but how much fun it soon became when a couple of friends and I started watching the U.S. games at 2, 3 and 4 in the morning. Nothing like showing up at a corner pub -- in Philly, no less -- at 5 a.m. for a U.S.-Germany game, or drinking all night at Nevada Smith's and waiting -- waiting! -- for the U.S.-Mexico game to start at 2 a.m.

The experience was as good as anything I've ever encountered while watching sports (without being there, of course), so needless to say, I'm stoked about noon tomorrow.

I'm not what you'd call a bandwagon jumper. Hell, I'm driving the bandwagon.

That said, it would be nice if some of the REAL fans on here could pick this baby back up where it left off before it detoured.

BTW: Eejit, put me down for $50. J/K!