View Single Post
Old 10-16-06, 05:22 PM
<<<<<

Penguinfan has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsPenguinfan has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsPenguinfan has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsPenguinfan has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsPenguinfan has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsPenguinfan has between 500 and 749 Rep Points

It's like this, if I am building a bankroll I will take shots at games, play a parlay now and then, etc.. There are conditions to each of those that would probably exceed the maximun post length to go into now.

Now if I have a bankroll and am trying to make XXX amount of money a month doing this then, NEVER bet more than one unit a game, EVER, PERIOD. It's hard enough to go 60%, I sure as hell don't want to go 60%+ over a given time period and still be in the red!!!!

As far as betting this far in advance, well there are two different approaches on that.

If you are hooked up with information on Sunday night when the virgin lines come out the sharp (and I mean very sharp) playes jump on the numbers they think are wrong and usually the numbers get moved before the actual public ever sees them. Believe it or not the line on a game changes several times during the week, most of us just don't see it. It may be a change in the juice or the spread itself, but they do change more than most know. If you have friends in Vegas and know the lines the sharp guys are moving SUnday night for the following week you can coat-tail them and bet early.

I am in the other camp who like to bet towards the end of the week or even Sunday morning. Injuries, weather, starters changing, etc... have a lot to do with the outcome of a game and I like to have all that info before I plunk down any cash.

You can start handicapping the games well in advance, as a lot of work goes into it, but unless I am super afraid of a big line move across a key number I will wait just to be sure.

It didn't cost anybody when Roethlisberger had his appendix burst, but if you threw down early in the week and put four units on that game you probably didn't like that news in the middle of the week.

I do think building a bankroll is different than grinding it out. Look at it as a rebuy tournament, the first hour is building your roll, you take risks with the small amounts in the beginning in hopes of getting a stack to work with, if you bust along the way you simply re-load and try again. After the first hour you have your roll, or stack and now must treat it as your life and death where every single game or move has very real consequences.