View Single Post
Old 08-09-06, 11:49 AM
Adminimus Maximus

Talking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep Points

Here's the thing... I don't care if you have $10 million in your bankroll. If SOMETHING (and it doesn't matter what) made you literally write down a "goal" of not playing in the $10/$20 NL game... then don't do it. It doesn't matter if your roll can handle it or if you aren't feeling challenged enough or if you are on a rush or if you are tilting or anything else. You set a goal that is 100% within your control. So meet it.

To use JD's analogy, if I made a goal to not drink for a month, you can bet your ass I wouldn't drink for a month. There would be a reason I set that goal, and whatever it was was obviously important enough for me to make a goal... so that would be that - no drinking. Even if I put myself in a situation where I was tempted, I just wouldn't do it.

Maybe it's self control, maybe it's maturity, or maybe it's just a fundamental personality trait, but I honestly don't understand how people can't NOT do something when they've made it a goal of theirs. Don't get me wrong - addiction (like a drug addiction) is different... but for something as simple as "don't play in a certain poker game," when you can't meet that goal for 30 days, I think you have to give some serious thought to finding out why... Addiction is the only thing that makes any sense to me. Other than that, I guess it could be laziness/indifference, but if that's the case, then why make goals in the first place??? They must have meant something to you for you to write them down.

Got RakeBack?
27% at Full Tilt | 33% at Cake Poker | 30% at Carbon Poker