View Single Post
Old 12-01-09, 04:52 PM
Adminimus Maximus

Talking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep Points

Quick Response:

December 01, 2009

Mr. Mark Petrillo

Dear Mr. Petrillo,

Thank you for contacting me to express your support for Internet gambling. I appreciate hearing from you and knowing of your interest in this issue.

As you may be aware, gambling has been traditionally regulated by the states. With the advent of the Internet, it has become easy for Internet gambling to bypass state restrictions on gambling. The Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act (UIGEA) of 2006 was passed several years ago before I came to Congress to address internet gambling in an effort to return this regulatory issue to the states. Should the Congress consider changes in this issue, I will keep your concerns in mind.

There are several concerns about Internet gambling that have arisen. A study by the National Centre for Social Research found that Internet and electronic forms of gambling are far more addictive than traditional and social forms of gambling. Additionally, the anonymity of the Internet puts vulnerable populations, such as children and compulsive gamblers, at an increased risk. A recent study found that the number of college students who gambled fell by 70 percent following the passage of the UIGEA. The law restricts banks from transferring funds to Internet gambling sites, all of which traditionally operated outside the U.S. While gambling is not a problem for all, it can become addictive for some.

Thank you again, Mark, for contacting me. It is an honor to serve you in Congress. I will keep your concerns in mind should the Congress revisit this issue. Also, please visit my website, where you can complete my constituent survey and sign up for my e-newsletter, which is sent out periodically, usually on a monthly basis.

Sincerely,

Bill Posey
Member of Congress

Got RakeBack?
27% at Full Tilt | 33% at Cake Poker | 30% at Carbon Poker