View Single Post
Old 01-02-09, 07:40 PM
cha'DIch of the Poker Gods

Kurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep Points

Until Belichick proves he can win on multiple teams, he can't be put in the same category with Parcells, or even close for that matter

I doubt he'll jump teams like Parcells, so we'll likely never know if that's the criterion. OTOH, if Pioli goes elsewhere, it might be a good measure of how good Belichick is if he continues his success without his player-personnel guy. Clearly his coordinators leaving haven't had much of an effect.

However, the Pats have a discipline and a mindset unseen since Lombardi's Packer teams. For whatever reason, Belichick fosters a kind of professionalism rarely seen in todays pro sports.

11-5 after losing the best QB in the game in the first 15 minutes of game 1. Losing 2 defensive captains. The starting RB, losing a combined 8 games from the starting D-line, including 4 straight by IMO the best guy there (Ty Warren). Losing his best LB in mid season. Finishing the season with 2 rookies and 2 guys who were in recliners watching football after 10 games at LB. And did I mention a starting QB who hadn't started a game since High School.

Parcells is great, but how many Super Bowls without Belichick?

This may annoy other Boston fans, but the Pats of this era remind me a lot of the Yankees during their run in the late 90's. No BS allowed. Ask the perennially disgruntled how fast his act got old in the Bronx, or ask Chad Curtis who tried to preach scripture in the clubhouse and got thrown against a wall by Jeter and told that shit wasn't acceptable in HIS clubhouse.

Winning teams and winning coaches take care of business and nothing else. The same thing you're saying about Belichick was said about Torre. I don't buy it in either case. Maybe both learned from their mistakes. With Parcells it's always been as much about Parcells as about the team.

Old Norse adage