Thread: 2009 in Review
View Single Post
Old 01-01-10, 01:04 PM
Forum Addict

Wes has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsWes has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsWes has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsWes has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsWes has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsWes has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsWes has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsWes has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsWes has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsWes has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsWes has between 3000 and 3499 Rep Points

Good luck at pokeretirement Kurn.

At least I didn't put any goals for myself in that thread. Goals seem to perpetuate something that I will invariably fail at.

Poker wise, I think it was a pretty good year. I made the least amount of money since I would consider myself a professional gambler, but I really didn't take poker seriously since I played at WSOP. The beginning of the year saw myself grinding a lot as I saw some need for money, and that probably forced my hand so to speak to actually "work". Then I hit that mark, and didn't particularly foresee much advantage of in working. I see some of my peers buying mansions and getting a brand new car. Although it would be nice to have those things, it is not worth my time invested to get to that point.

On that front, I'm inclined to believe right now that poker is nothing more than an end to a means. Mainly, supporting myself towards something else. It is hard to define what that is at this point, but I do know that poker surely is not the career in the long term.

I did start off with stand up comedy and did do some silly jokes without a message to them. Then I bombed horribly once on stage and saw some comedians after me doing dumb comedy and succeeding. It may have been a manifestation of ego in my loathing towards that comedian, but it did reinforce my opinion that comedians without a point are things that I do not enjoy. So I wrote a whole new set which I think was better than before, even if some of the old jokes are funny.

I'll probably come back to this thread January 1st 2011 and think that the whole comedian thing was pointless. I do know that there is no immediate success to be found in it as it will take years to even get comfortable on stage. How silly to think I'm going to stop playing poker and then derive the notion of being a stand up comedian as a job.