View Single Post
Old 09-13-08, 09:10 AM
<<<<<

Penguinfan has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsPenguinfan has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsPenguinfan has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsPenguinfan has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsPenguinfan has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsPenguinfan has between 500 and 749 Rep Points
Default Help me get the big picture (possibly long)

I think it may be time for me to give up on MTT's and learn how to play cash, the problem is I am a horrible cash player, possibly the worst on the internet.

Many of the original members know me as someone who blows up when the best hand loses and it took me a long time to understand that when AA loses IT IS part of the game. Others may remember me for blowing by roll on that Missouri game a while back, meh.

After taking some time to really (at least try) understand the game I thought I had a handle on things and was actually doing OK (by my standards) at low limit MTT's. OPR can back me up on that, despite a horrid recent couple of weeks I am still on the positive side the last three months.

I am afraid what I have finally learned is you can't learn enough to win, it actually is more a game of luck than any of us want to admit, and that sucks.

Two different examples to illustrate my point:

Last night I am chip leader with 90 players left out of 1100+ and have 4x what anyone at my table has. In the course of four or five orbits I bust out losing pre-flop all-ins with KK vs A2, QQ vs JJ, KK vs A10 and AK vs KJ. I guess it's debatable, but I think I played pretty good to that point only to bust out with a $5 profit for over three hours playing time. ALL of those players got it in bad and doubled up (except for the last guy who knocked me out), and the only reasonable hand among them was the JJ.

Example two: Just after the money bubble and I have a below average stack and am willing to take a risk to double up. I flop an open ended straight flush draw with two overs and have to call all my chips off after the flop. I call and the board bricks out and I bust, again picking up a couple dollars for two and a half hours or so.

My point being if I catch a card or they don't catch a card the payouts quite possibly could have been MUCH different and I don't think the skill level changes at all to have that happen. Luck just plays too much of a part in MTT's.

Now, for my real point, what am I missing? I see others who make a decent bankroll at MTT's time after time, what am I missing? Yes, I know the donks calling off their stack against me with A2 will eventually go broke. I don't have time to wait for eventually, I needed to win THAT hand THAT TIME.

Are MTT's just too much of a luckfest to consider playing on a daily basis? Is it possible for an MTT player to learn to play (gulp) cash games? Should I maybe take up building model rockets instead?