View Single Post
Old 01-07-06, 02:12 PM
Adminimus Maximus

Talking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep Points

So.... yesterday's tourney.

$460+40. Swapped 10% with bdawg and 5% with P0ker H0, who told me he was going to win it. 10 or 15 minutes later, he was out after moving in with his overpair 99 and getting called by A3 (pair of 3s) on the flop, only to see another 3 come on the river. Interesting call. bdawg got al his money in with a flopped wheel (A2 - 345 board) against 66... naturally a 2 came on the turn and that was the end of him.

For me, the tourney started off exactly opposite how the one the day before did for me. I lost some chips when I raised with AQ and someone moved in. I laughed and folded and he showed AK. At least he was nice enough to let me off cheap. A bit later, my KQ ran into AK. The flop was K rag rag, and I was able to get off it, but it cost me some chips too. the next thing I know, I'm down to 500 chips with pretty much no wiggle room any more (we started with 1500).

I hung on and played solidly, picking up some small pots, and basically just surviving. It was still really early. By the break (three 30 minute levels), I still only had 500ish chips and the blinds were 50/100. They moved up to 50/100 with a 25 ante, and I tripled up (I forget with what, but I had the best hand). Then I got moved to another table.

I continued to play solidly and built myself a decent stack. Got up to 6000, and as high as 7000ish, I think. Hung around that level forever, as other people kept dropping. We started with 140 players or so, and 20 would cash. 11-20th got $1000 each, and then it went up from there, with $20k going to the winner.

With 200/400 blinds and a 50 ante, I raised to 1200 from the button with 66. The BB pushed in on me and I was certain he had overcards, but I just couldn't call for 2/3 of my remaining stack. I would have been down to like 1200-1500 chips left, I think, so I let it go. He told me later he had KJ but knew I couldn't call. That stung. Maybe I hsould have just pushed in from the button, but the SB ad a mountain of chips, and I didn't want to risk him waking up with a hand.

Anyway, the next thing I know, I was short stacked again, and we were down to 24 players. I moved in 2-3 times before the bubble, picking up the blinds and antes uncontested each time. When we got to Hand For Hand play, only one guy was shorter stacked than me...

At one of the other tables, a guy got all in with J5o (yes, that's right) against AA who had him covered. The money went in on the flop, when he had 3rd pair (5), and sure enough, he hit a J on the turn. Disgusting. Did I mention that he went on to win the entire tournament??? That's right, he should have bubbled, and instead he took down $20,000+.

Meanwhile, I witnessed one of the worst plays I have EVER seen at at the other table. The short stack was down to 1000 chips after folding both of his blinds. The blinds were 400/800 with a 100 ante at this point. With 900 chips left, everyone folded to him on the button and he moved in. The SB completed, and the BB went into the tank. The SB said to him, quite obviously, "It's 100 more for you to call his ALL IN bet." With everyone standing around and watching now (because he took so damn long), the BB made a big raise. The SB threw his cards into the muck in frustration and then the idiot BB turned over 73o. W T F ? ? ? The entire room erupted. He bluffed into a dry side pot, ON THE BUBBLE, with garbage. He managed to suck out and hit a 7, but come on.... what a joke.

So, I was in the money. With my stack dwindling and the BB coming, I pushed in with 67 from UTG. I got one caller, who had AK. My cards were live until the river, but the AK (who had 300 chips more than me) held up and I was out. 20th place - $1000 cash. I'll take it. Paid the same as 11th. Had I won that pot, btw, I would have had > 9000 chips... the guy who took me out went on to finish 5th, and was actually chip leader at one point.

All in all though, I'm happy with another fairly big live tourney cash. That's 2 for 2 for me here, and 4 of my last 5, dating back to the WSOP.

I'll be playing in another $500 tourney tonight.

Got RakeBack?
27% at Full Tilt | 33% at Cake Poker | 30% at Carbon Poker