Thread: I got Punk'd.
View Single Post
Old 04-16-06, 11:48 AM
Adminimus Maximus

Talking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep Points

I agree with jimmym for sure. I don't care WHO it turns out to be, I'd go after them with every last inch of my lawyer schlong, if I were you.

Here's the thing: Yahoo will probably not be very helpful, because:
-They are too big
-They don't care
-There are no DIRECT financial implications of someone getting into your email

HOWEVER, Stars and ESPECIALLY Neteller are NOT going to be happy about this. They will do an investigation and should be able to track it down to the IP address of the person who did it. Once they do, they (or you, if they give you the info) can contact the owner of that IP Address (the ISP), and you can use some lawyer speak to have them give you that person's real name and address. And then - assuming it doesn't turn out to be YOUR computer (I'm guessing it won't be) - Bingo, you've got your man and can proceed with legal action. It probably won't be worth pursuing it civically (then again, as a lawyer, maybe that would be easy for you), but I think you should turn that person in to the authorities, with all the supporting info, and let them pursue it criminally. Then we'll see who really got punked. And if it turns out that this isn't the first offence for this person, or they are able to track down more illegal activity.... then the dude is fucked. And deserves to be.

Anyway, after all that rambling... this is still scary stuff. I just have to ask: How guessable were your passwords? Now that they have been breached, I'm guessing you'll never use them again, so maybe you could share them with us. Actually, that's probably still a bad idea, but I'm just wondering how easy they were - if they were random or had some sort of tie to you. Also, is it possible that your Stars/Neteller passwords were in your Yahoo mail somewhere, because if that's the case, they would only have needed to breach that one account to get into all three - and that could have easily been done by someone if you accidently left yourself logged in to Yahoo from ANY computer - your own, a friend's house, the local library, work. Really try to think it through and figure out where you've accessed that account. Also, be sure to deal with any other sensitive information that may have been in there - passwords for other sites, etc. You may even want to alert your bank and CC companies that you may have an identity theft problem on your hands (it doesn't take much) just to give them a heads up and Cover Your Ass in case more problems start showing up.

GL Lou. Keep us posted.

Got RakeBack?
27% at Full Tilt | 33% at Cake Poker | 30% at Carbon Poker