View Single Post
Old 05-05-10, 10:46 PM
Poker? Yeah, three times a night!

GTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep Points

Why would I stop at rubber bullets? Because me drawing the line at a different point of the line concerning what is "excessive" doesn't mean I'm all for shooting people with lethal rounds at the drop of the hat.

I had a similar conversation with someone yesterday and they said crucifying people on the foul poles would stop the running on the field too.

The histrionics are all well and good, but that is a ridiculously simplistic way to frame the argument. Someone advocating that more extreme measures be taken to stop people (as compared to letting him run until he is tired or tackled) is not automatically calling for the death penalty on a minor infraction.

My specific reason for using snipers and rubber bullets is because you avoid the idea of having to "catch" the person. When someone runs on the field, it takes a few seconds before everybody realizes what is going on. Depending on where they enter the playing field, it isn't out of the realm of possibilities that they could reach a player/coach before more than 1 or 2 people notice what is happening. The idea of using snipers and rubber bullets isn't the excess force to deter people in a scare tactics way...it is to stop them the instant they enter the playing field without giving them the opportunity to reach a player/coach/umpire.

I would like the situation to end immediately with little to no injury to players/coaches/umpires/police/security. Using a taser on the person does that in the most effective way possible. Either that or canine units.

I don't look at it as SIMPLY punishment from cops to scare people. I see it as a more immediate ending to the situation. The matter ends quicker and you don't have cops or security guards tackling someone which is ridiculously inefficient (not to mention much more dangerous for the cops and security guards). It isn't like 4 security guards tackling someone is totally safe and crazy effective at ending the situation.

The fact that it can be used to deter people since they see the consequences is an extension of the above benefit. Because, let's face it, people don't see the few hours spent in the precinct under the stadium, they don't see the conviction, the fine, the community service.

I'm not sure if it is relevant either. That's why I asked for the views of you and others.

From what I could tell, the most vocal baseball fans on the forum all held a similar opinion. I felt that was interesting.

Yeah, you make kings run in to them.