View Single Post
Old 01-14-07, 04:03 AM
Shark

Dodoubled has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsDodoubled has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsDodoubled has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsDodoubled has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsDodoubled has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsDodoubled has between 500 and 749 Rep Points

Gracias, Melioris.

Anyhow, I have no idea what the Beckham signing will bring to the U.S. soccer scene. However, I do believe that the main reason we don't embrace soccer here is simply because the best in the world don't play here.

Think about it. Major League Baseball, The National Basketball Association, even the National Football League (for those who play it) --- all are the marquee destinations for the people associated with those sports. The MLS, quite simply, isn't. The English Premier League, or whatever the hell it is, is (correct me if I'm wrong), and I think Americans don't give a shit because we know we're not the best. If we did, we'd watch it. It's purely an ego thing. I've seen plenty of 0-0, 1-0 soccer games with more excitement and action than Saturday's Colts-Ravens game.

I'm in no means a big, BIG soccer fan -- only once every four years, I suppose. But if you can't understand why three-quarters of the world views this as their main sport, I suggest you take a serious look at what makes you a fan of anything.

Take soccer for what it is. But, I can't think of any other sport here that gets you to the bar at 7 a.m. on a Tuesday to drink.

P.S. -- It's 4 a.m. Long night of drinking. I apologize for any typos or misconstrued thoughts.