View Single Post
Old 12-18-07, 01:02 PM
Rock

hackers238 has between 250 and 499 Rep Pointshackers238 has between 250 and 499 Rep Pointshackers238 has between 250 and 499 Rep Points

I'm learning to be a better poker player too, and trying to improve from a break even / steadily declining (when I'm drunk) player. I have three things to say:

1. Pick a game type a stick with it. SNG's are not Cash Games, and neither of them are MTTs. All three are played very differently as you go up in levels, and I think it's important to pick ONE and know how to play it (Assuming you want to play No Limit Holdem, of course)

2. Have an adequete bankroll. You say you're depositing $150. If you're going to go cash game, I would recommend grinding out at the NL .05/.10 level. You don't have quite enough for the .10/.25 game (you would only have 6 buy-ins there). If you're going SNG route, don't play anything higher than the $5 buy-ins. MTT tournaments you might want to go even less than $5, but I don't have any experience here

3. Set a goal and follow it through. This goal cannot be monetary, because then you might never get there. For example I'm currently playing 10,000 hands of .10/.25, and then evaluating all of my play with pokertracker. Regardless of how much money I win in those 10,000 (Or lose), I'm going to complete those 10,000 without changing blinds, or playing other types of games. When I originally formulated a plan to improve at poker, I wanted to play SNGs, and I planned on doing 100 $1 SNGs at stars, and then evaluating my play, so I think this is a good idea for SNG players. I think this is important because it will keep you focused on a goal which you are always nearing, rather than keep you focused on obtaining a certain amount of money to "move up in blinds", which you may fall away from and get frustrated.

Finally, If you do bust out, take a minimum of 1 month break from PLAYING poker, but not from studying it. That way when you go back you should know what to do in the situations you are running into.

PS: Post in the hand history section of this forum, and take anything the great players here say as gold. Even if they think you're stupid or a poor player (note: I'm a ), "wisdom is wisdom, even from the devil's mouth"

Good luck!

Note to Self - Play ABC Poker.