View Single Post
Old 09-15-08, 08:56 PM
Talking Poker League Champion

de-coder has between 1000 and 1499 Rep Pointsde-coder has between 1000 and 1499 Rep Pointsde-coder has between 1000 and 1499 Rep Pointsde-coder has between 1000 and 1499 Rep Pointsde-coder has between 1000 and 1499 Rep Pointsde-coder has between 1000 and 1499 Rep Pointsde-coder has between 1000 and 1499 Rep Pointsde-coder has between 1000 and 1499 Rep Pointsde-coder has between 1000 and 1499 Rep Pointsde-coder has between 1000 and 1499 Rep Points

OK, I'm back...

I'm assuming we're talking about PT - it's the only manager I have experience with. I'm also assuming you're using postgres for the database engine - if you're not... well, I've ranted on that a few times here already (do a search if needed).

Before you go ahead and create a new database you might consider using the built-in tools to purge the older HH files:

Before you begin - first back it up, then run a vacuum full/analyze

Under Utilities -> Database Maintenance and Options click Advanced Purge. From there you can get pretty specific regarding hands you want to get rid of - in your case a date range is what you're looking for. I've not run this myself, but I would expect it to take a while.

I highly recommend running a separate database for observed hands - you should purge this one as well.

You also have the option of setting a filter on both your PT screens as well as (more importantly) PokerAce HUD. For the HUD it's under: options -> filters - then click the Show Hands From The Last [0 ] hands Only checkbox and put a number in the box (like ~2500 I would guess). That should give you the same effect as the purge.

If you do continue on and create a new database I hope you save your HH files so can import the ones you want. If not, AND you've chosen to store the entire HH file in the database, you can extract them from the database. I'm not sure right now how you'd parse them for date though - there might be a way, but I'm not sure.

For maximum performance of the database - here are a couple of things that I do:

- I run Postgres on a different server - mine is a linux box. This does a couple of things for me - it offloads the SQL processing to another machine and postrgres runs faster/better on linux.
- I keep separate databases for each site and the observed hands for each site. They say you don't have to, but I do - and I believe I get better performance from it. It's a bit more work, but I think it's worth it.
- I run maintenance on my databases very regularly. This keeps the databases clean and tidy and fast - particularly when datamining. Inserting new records into the database is more expensive than reading as the server needs to maintain the indexes - running the maintenance makes this much faster.