Thread: "16-0"
View Single Post
Old 01-02-10, 05:17 PM
Poker? Yeah, three times a night!

GTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep Points

Manning HAS been sacked though. He's been hit. He's been knocked down. The same goes for every other starter.

The risk is not purely theoretical just because it hardly ever happens.

Players get hurt all the time. And, after 15 weeks, I would assume every player would gladly accept some time off to rest.

The RISK of getting injured is far more real than the BENEFIT received from playing players after their position in the playoffs is secured.

Also, Hellmuth is a dumbass.
To add, if we are looking at the poker side of things, I would think that the more valid comparison would be something like a satellite tournament where 9 identical seats are available for the Main Event. There are 10 people still in the satty and the 10th person has a handful of chips left while you have an above average stack and have a simple walk to the Main Event.

You have QQ and the person with 77 has more chips than you or an identical stack.

In that situation, there is no real tangible benefit to playing the hand. You won't be getting a BETTER position in the tournament if you win the hand, but if you lose the hand you'll be out or so crippled that your chances of winning a seat are dramatically diminished.

Of course, it isn't an ideal description since you wouldn't be starting the Main Event with 5000 chips if you lose the hand (akin to starting the Playoffs without Manning or Wayne etc).

It does make the idea of folding the hand seem more plausible considering the possible odds of any given scenario.

Maybe I play incredibly scared, but if there are 10 people left for 9 seats at the Main Event...I'm not putting my seat on the line to beat someone else when there is no realistic benefit for me doing so. Yes, I'll get to put my name on a trophy saying that I won a satty, but what does that get me?

Yeah, you make kings run in to them.

Last edited by GTDawg; 01-02-10 at 05:36 PM.