View Single Post
Old 06-20-08, 09:31 AM
I'm on a boat

Reel Deal has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsReel Deal has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsReel Deal has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsReel Deal has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsReel Deal has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsReel Deal has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsReel Deal has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsReel Deal has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsReel Deal has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsReel Deal has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsReel Deal has between 3000 and 3499 Rep Points

For a time during the mid 1990s I was getting to play 2-3 times per week and got my handicap down to about 6-7.

My career round was on the Stadium Course at the TPC @ Sawgrass in '95 when I shot 76 from the blue tees... was actually 3 under after the first six holes, started par, par, birdie, par, birdie, birdie, obviously at that point I started thinking about my score, had a couple shaky holes but finished the front 9 at one under 35. Had an up and down back 9 with birdies on 13 and 16, I actually got to the 17th tee at +1 but then made bogey on 17 and double (gag!!) on 18 for a 76. I did shoot a 75 on another course but don't consider it as good as the 76 on the Stadium.

Life changed a lot shortly thereafter, kids, law school, increased responsibilities at work, and I now hardly have any time for golf (I think last year I played maybe 5 full 18 hole rounds). Kinda sad. It's definitely a game that you have to be playing on a regular basis. My handicap now is probably 14 or higher. My swing, especially with a driver, is very much based on timing so if I'm not getting to play a lot and have that timing down, it really makes a huge difference (I really struggle right now to hit fairways).

I did get to play once with a guy who was playing the mini-tours in Florida and in Asia and although I was about a 7-8 handicap when we played, he was playing a completely different game. Every tee shot was a booming high-arching draw into the center of the fairway and every time he missed a green he’d get up-and-down. I think he shot 69 that day and I remember thinking if this guy can’t make the PGA Tour, how good are those guys?!?! They really are unbelievably talented, and that makes what Tiger’s doing (did??) that much more impressive.

GTD, I’ve been at the practice rounds at Augusta a couple times and have watched them skip balls onto the green at 16. That’s a blast to watch, but I don’t think that particular shot is really as hard as it might appear? I don’t know, may have to try it sometime and see.