View Single Post
Old 01-04-09, 09:20 AM
cha'DIch of the Poker Gods

Kurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep Points

I'd tend to go with Romo for current. Of course, considering how much money he'll get as a free agent, I'd have to put Cassel up there, too, coming from a team with one of the 2 or 3 best O-lines, Moss/Welker and a system that tends to make decent players (aka Deion Branch, Lawyer Milloy) look like world-beaters. In fact, Matt Cassel may have set the all-time record for going from underrated to overrated in the course of one season.

All-time is tougher. Comparisons between eras are even harder for the NFL than in other leagues. The rules have changed radically from 30 years ago, when DBs could mug the receivers all over the field as long as the ball wasn't in the air and some DBs would even slather glue all over their uniforms so one bump prevented the WR from ever getting separation (where have you gone, Lester Hayes?).

You could use the Aikman rationale to put Terry Bradshaw in the most overrated category. I also think that, as an NFL analyst, Phil Simms' reputation seems bigger than his reality. I seem to remember him leading the league in late game blunders. Zy can ask some 40+ Giant fans how accurate that is. And finally, there are many in south Florida who would put Marino right up on top.

Old Norse adage