View Single Post
Old 10-22-04, 07:01 AM
Fish

DanielL has between 10 and 49 Rep Points
Default Some thoughts on sit n go's

Over the past 4 years, I've played a LOT of sit n go's, from $5 up to $200, limit, no limit, pot limit, hold 'em, omaha, stud-8 at several sites.

I play mainly at Party due to the game selection. I agree with an earlier poster that it's a bit more of a crapshoot than Stars because of fewer starting chips and quicker escalating blinds, but I like the fact that they last less than an hour.

Skill Level
$5 - horrendous
$10 to $30 - a core group of good, solid players with about 30% bad players
$50 to $200 - only a few bad players

Limit hold 'em vs. No limit
Seems to me that Limit becomes more of a crapshoot than No Limit because of the limits going up so quickly. You're playing for all your chips more quickly in limit, so you must get aggressive earlier than in No Limit

Tight early and Aggressive Later
Several have brought up this concept, and it's correct. However, one thing I've found is that once the final 3 are in the money, the skill level shift is dramatic. It's almost as if most players are satisfied to be in the money, and don't care if they finish first, second or third. I find that if I get to the money with at least 25% of the chips, I have a very good shot at finishing first (maybe I'm just a good heads up player )

Pot Limit Hold 'em
The "ugly stepchild" of the sit n go's, but, in my opinion, a very good structure. It takes away the maniac's ability to push all in when only $25 of blinds have been posted, and rewards betting skills. If you like no limit, but are tired of the "all in maniacs", try the pot limit.

Three table sit n go's at Party (and, to a lesser degree, 2 table tourneys)
I find these to be very good practice for larger, multi table tournaments. It's like entering a large tournament half way through, skipping the first couple of hours of low limit rounds. 30 players, with 5 getting paid, you need to pay attention to average stack size, you get practice playing short handed (6 or 7 per table before a table breaks), when tables combine you have to figure out other playing styles, etc. A lot more of the elements of multi table tournaments, but in a shorter format. Very good practice for the big ones.

Also, in the 3 table tournaments, due to the large number of chips relative to blind sizes, when you get down to 7 or 8 players, you get a LOT of hands on or near the bubble without having to just shove in and hope for the best. Also, 3 handed, and heads up play lasts a lot longer. All very good practice for those big, live tournaments when you find yourself at a final table.

Stud-8 and Omaha-8
The average skill level in these is much higher than in hold 'em, as there are many players that specialize in these games and play nothing but Stud-8 or Omaha. You will find a smattering of clueless players just "trying out" something new, but you'll find 3 or 4 players in each of these tourneys who are VERY solid.

I guess I'm rambling too much for my first post at this forum.
Good Luck to all
Dan