View Single Post
Old 05-07-10, 09:42 PM
Poker? Yeah, three times a night!

GTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep Points

"He is proving that ppl playing on unprotected network, other ppl can obtain their hole card information due to the weak encryption on the Cerus Network. "
---
"The reason he was only seeing his hole cards was that he was the one playing on the computer. If there was another player on the network that his software was monitoring (next door neighbor, for example) he could have been seeing them as well. "

That's my point, though. Yes, I'm fixated on HIS hole cards...because he hasn't demonstrated that he can find ANOTHER person's hole cards without being physically near their network. (The idea of being able to see an entire table's hole cards, for example)

The need to be near an un-encrypted wireless network or connected to a hub that people are playing on diminishes the "scary" factor related to being able to see the hole cards. Unless we are going to assume that he will ALWAYS be playing near someone else playing Absolute on the same stakes/same table, whatever.

It is logistically improbable that he would be near someone else playing Absolute, considering he would need to play the same game as them for an extended period of time to gain an advantage from seeing their hole cards. I mean, he would...essentially...be seeing only one other person's cards. While an advantage, it isn't something that will GREATLY improve his winnings (although it is a huge advantage). And, again, he's never going to be playing multiple people from one network except in very rare circumstances.

I mean, how often is your neighbor playing poker on an unsecured network? How often is some random guy playing Absolute on the network at the local starbucks?

"PCA, Vegas during WSOP, the list goes on and on. Scary shit."

As mentioned before, these events are definitely more primed for him to steal account information as it would be a far easier score.

He glosses over, what I feel, is the more serious issue. That account information can be gained through these security flaws.

It would be far FAR easier to scour Vegas during the WSOP for people playing Absolute on hotel wireless and grab their account information as compared to finding one single person's hole cards while you played against them.

I'm not sure if you guys are misunderstanding my point or not. I see that you can view the hole cards. However, there is a need to be physically NEAR someone (within network range of some kind) to grab their cards. And, you'd have to sit there and play them for an extended period of time to gain an advantage. It is a big advantage to know one person's hole cards, however, it isn't the same advantage as being able to see ALL the cards.

When looking at the entire situation, the idea that account information can be stolen through this security flaw is infinitely more serious than the ability to see one other person's hole cards.

Yeah, you make kings run in to them.

Last edited by GTDawg; 05-07-10 at 09:45 PM.