View Single Post
Old 10-20-04, 09:50 AM
Calling Station

Charlie Frank has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

Firstly, Stussy, if you are folding top two pair to an all-in bet, then you have a lot to learn about the game. I'm not sure what you think you need to call an all-in bet, but I guarantee you need to reassess the value of hands in HE.

Secondly, if they get you to fold after betting all-in with middle pair (ace kicker) then they have made a good play, regardless of whether you think its a good play or not.

Thirdly, in tournament play, when players go hyper-aggressive, they often do extremely well. I'm not sure what books you are reading, but you might want to throw them away and start coming up with your own logic. Often the only way to play maniacs is to become a maniac. Players who play hyper-agressive tend to create a follow-on effect, where other players become more aggressive to match that aggression. You need to be able to step up to the plate and win.

Fourthly, (and I might be repeating myself here), if you can't beat a game where players bet all-in with middle pair, then you need to step down a few levels - the thing you will find as you progress in poker is that players don't play how *you* think they should play. They will do whatever they want, regardless of the limits. Players who play 40/80 don't follow your rules. They often raise like maniacs with middle pair and often fold top pair or better. They are playing the player, not some boring set of rules designed for low limit beginners.

There is this common misperception amongst beginner/intermediate players that the higher you go in levels, the more logical the play becomes. The opposite is often the case. Try sitting in a $1000 buy in NL game and see if waiting for premium hands works for you. You will get slaughtered.

Poker is crazy, especially NL - rules are for beginners. To win, you need to learn that positional play and the ability to make people fold their equity in the pot is how you win at poker - not following some set of rules that some broken pro wrote down in a book for beginners.

Good luck.

CF