The TalkingPoker.com Forum  

Go Back   The TalkingPoker.com Forum > All Things Poker > General Poker Discussion
Register Blogs Arcade HH Converter Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-26-06, 11:31 AM
I'm on a boat

Reel Deal has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsReel Deal has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsReel Deal has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsReel Deal has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsReel Deal has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsReel Deal has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsReel Deal has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsReel Deal has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsReel Deal has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsReel Deal has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsReel Deal has between 3000 and 3499 Rep Points
Default 2.5xBB as standard PFR?

I used the remaining Party points I had to get a year subscription to Bluff magazine... in this months edition there's an article by Brandon Adams where he's advocating 2.5xBB as a better standard PFR over 3 or 4xBB. He points to Negreanu as a player that frequently raises 2.5BBs. His argument is that the lower PFR works because (a) you're not putting in more than you need to achieve your objective preflop, (b) your decisions will not be as tough since you aren't building a bigger pot, and (c) you can get weaker players to come along when they don't view your smaller PFR as indicating strength (and when done properly you'll have position on them throughout the hand making it easier to out play them).

Obviously I think this works for a guy like Negreanu because he is all-world at outplaying people after the flop and his opening range is very wide, but what about for us mere mortals? Anyone like this idea? Anyone use this concept of a smaller PFR? I think this might be a good strategy for a skilled player, not sure if it would work well for the less skilled however.