The TalkingPoker.com Forum  

Go Back   The TalkingPoker.com Forum > All Things Poker > General Poker Discussion
Register Blogs Arcade HH Converter Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-30-04, 06:25 PM
Sir Waffles House of Fun

SirFWALGMan has between 50 and 99 Rep Points
Default The Story of my Game

As most of you know I tried out 5/10. Had a bad run of cards. Chickened out and let it mess me up. Not good. I thought I was over that crap. Originally when I first started playing I bought in for $50 to Empire poker. I really did not have alot of knowlege about the game, but as I read I got better and started winning. I however had no clue about variance or discipline in Poker. I would have slight variance, lose a hundred, go up a level to try and get it back, etc.. etc...

I made several great runs this way and then after I had run my $200 up to 1K, I blew it all on 5/10 short handed tables one night. It was very dissapointing and hurt alot. I started reading more and writing a blog and really got a feel for the game. I was doing well. Keeping the discipline up. Six months later I am up to 3K and feeling like nothing can beat me. I then switch to 5/10 and it gets ugly. I am not sure what it was but I just could not win. Looking back I think it was variance and more aggression. Not knowing when to fold. So I slipped back into my old habits and dropped 2K of my bankroll. Played some tables above 5/10 and just kept losing on 5/10. It is these lack of discipline things that made a bad situation (losing 1K) into a horrible one. It was not fun. I went back to 2/4 and could not even win there. Again I think I was having alot of variance issues. Probably playing too much and pushing too hard.

So I have been taking it easy. I have been playing a little 5/10 - Short. Since it has been so lucritive. It has been a great boost to my confidence to beat these too. I built my bankroll back up to 2K and I am feeling good about my game.

It just goes to show you that it is very difficult to handle the inevitable swings in your game. That discipline and bankroll management are as important or more so than how you play. So keep improving your game. But play within your means and when the swings happen do not necessarily question your game if you have been a winning player. Evaluate your play. Keep calm. Switch it up a little.

I fight with these things everytime I go into a downswing. I am not prefect. Far from it. Hope someone can take some solace in my experiences.