The TalkingPoker.com Forum  

Go Back   The TalkingPoker.com Forum > All Things Poker > General Poker Discussion
Register Blogs Arcade HH Converter Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-08-05, 08:17 AM
<<<<<

Penguinfan has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsPenguinfan has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsPenguinfan has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsPenguinfan has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsPenguinfan has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsPenguinfan has between 500 and 749 Rep Points
Default Party Poker Steps SINGLE Table style

I just started to notice these yesterday, still probably a horrible way to invest your money, but the allure of a nice payoff is still hard to ignore. I think it was Glenn Frye who sang "Smugglers Blues" and said "it's the lure of easy money, it has a very strong appeal". After watching and playing in one of these games (which I said I would not do, sigh) I thought I would look into the trade off of this versus regular games. First of all, if you play in single table satellites to win seats at bigger games, this may actually be for you, now hear me out before you start screaming about -EV. By the time you actually get to the payout it will be like playing in a (roughly) 1000 player tournament where only the top 4 get paid, in this case $4500, $2500, $1800, $1200, however like I said you are used to playing in this type of setup keep in mind you are only facing 9 other players at once and every time you hit a new set of ten players you are on an even playing field chip wise at least when the new round starts. I think this absolutly benefits the above average SNG player because IMHO if you play tight and let the morons snuff each other out you can wait for good hands and win enough chips to get to heads up and then let the chips fall where they may. This tournament structure helps that style of play because while I wait for good hand to advance to the next level some jackass who is just shoving chips around and getting lucky playing A3s isn't piling up some huge chip advantage AND the blinds don't get so high like in a MTT that your hands get tied, I really think you can just play good solid poker throughout and find yourself at a $1000 SNG before you know it. The drawback is that you have to get to the top TWO spots instead of 3 to advance in steps 1 and 2, you just need top 3 in step 3 and step 4 should be a walk in the park as the top 4 advance to the money game and now you are in a money game with 10 people and FOUR spots get paid.
Perhaps I am the ultimate sucker that Party is looking for, but I find this a much better opportunity than the 2-table version.
Probably still better off just playing 2/4 and making a few bucks an hour, but this is fun and unless I am missing something isn't as bad as it's older brother.
Thoughts?????