The TalkingPoker.com Forum  

Go Back   The TalkingPoker.com Forum > All Things Poker > General Poker Discussion
Register Blogs Arcade HH Converter Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-06-06, 11:59 AM
Rock

MathBabe has between 250 and 499 Rep PointsMathBabe has between 250 and 499 Rep PointsMathBabe has between 250 and 499 Rep Points
Default A PF raise behind you, in Limit

Here's something that Lee Jones doesn't address, and I have to admit, I haven't picked up SSHE yet (little brother gave me a Chapters gift certificate for Christmas, but I haven't gotten there yet to see if they have it.)

In the pre-flop section Jones talks about starting hands for each position, and whether you should raise, call, or fold. He discusses how it's different if you're just calling, or if there's a raise in front of you.

What he doesn't mention, and what my question is, what do you do when there's a raise BEHIND you? This most often occurs when you're in early position, so generally I called with a decent hand, and I figure if I'm in for one bet I might as well be in for two. But with these low-limit games it happens often enough when I'm late position that I need to make sure I'm playing it right. If I'm one before the button, and the button raises, what do I do? Can anyone give me examples of when I should call, and when I should fold? I try to take into account whether the player is loose or tight, but let's assume I have no read yet.

Since I typically play 10-handed .10/.20 Limit, there are usually 4-6 people in the hand. If there is a raise behind me most people will call it, so there will be anything from 6-12SB in the pot by the time we see the flop. That makes me think I'm often getting the correct pot odds to call the second bet.