The TalkingPoker.com Forum  

Go Back   The TalkingPoker.com Forum > All Things Poker > General Poker Discussion
Register Blogs Arcade HH Converter Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-19-06, 01:10 AM
Fmr. Resident Asshole

Aequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsAequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsAequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsAequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsAequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsAequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsAequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsAequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep Points
Default The average stack.

MTT poker, NLHE.

Lately my success has actually been good playing low stakes MTT poker. In the last three months (?), I final tabled three times, with a 1st and 2nd finish included.

I mainly play tournaments on weekends, but... I might have found a problem with my MTT game that I'd like to address. Hopefully, we can get into a good discussion that could not only benefit me, but benefit others. (Which is another way of asking the thread to go 2-3 replies long.)

I play well as a big stack. I like taking chances and seeing alot of flops. I like being able to make raises and get players off hands. As the big stack, others are showing less aggression to me because I can put them out of the tournament, another perk.

The short stack is also easy to play, IMO. Generally, it's push or fold poker, but I have enough chips to make people think twice about calling. Many times, I'll have no problem pushing AI w/ 63o, because I like the blind stealing opportunity.

My last few "wins" have been either as a big stack from the get-go, or as a short stack on life-support, believe it or not.

My problem: playing as the average stack.

The way I see it, I have less chances to "make moves:" I have to play a little more cautiously pre-flop (as compared to the big stack) but I'm also not playing push-fold poker.

Aeq you idiot, play good hands, play position, and steal off other medium to smaller stacks...

1. Ok, but what happens when you go card dead? I have to be able to get deep in the tournament without the cards because I'm ALWAYS not going to be so lucky as to have a big stack.

2. Stealing off the big stacks (ie: w/out cards to back up the raise) is dangerous because they're calling me...

3. I would love to steal off the other medium to smaller stacks, but sometimes it's all but impossible given the various stacks sitting around me. What do you do when the next 2-3 players to your left are big stacks?

I guess I should revisit Harrington on these issues, but I'd also like to hear it from members who have found success with MTTs.