The TalkingPoker.com Forum  

Go Back   The TalkingPoker.com Forum > All Things Poker > General Poker Discussion
Register Blogs Arcade HH Converter Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-09-07, 09:48 AM
Shark

jimmym has between 250 and 499 Rep Pointsjimmym has between 250 and 499 Rep Pointsjimmym has between 250 and 499 Rep Points
Default Form and Stats

Its common knowledge now that every online poker player and others can check a players form and stats including $ won and lost. But how many players actually know the true reflection of there poker costs.

Like many I have offten paid Sharkscope, Bluff and other various sites a visit and checked the info held on the databases, like many on here I have been playing for many years and like many on here have never won a major tournament online or tournament thats paid really big $.

The true reflection of this was shown to me when I joined a couple of the major database sites and paid the subscription, this gave me access to the full cost of my poker play.

Since my start in 2002 Ive mainly played tournaments infact on pokerstars ive played 1288 at a cost of $22,606.32 from this outlay ive reached 198 payouts and had 68 final tables with only 1 tournament win for $1,057.15 from $15,089.42 winnings.

The cost of this to me is a loss of over $7000. Very dissheartining for me to see this in print never really knowing the true cost.As many of you know when you go to these site without being a full member you only see what youve won so ths can really impair what others and yourself think.

So is this all it reads? well yes no matter how I put it I am a losing player, but now for my learning curve, why do I lose so much? well looking at the data I understand that when I play poker I dont just enter one or two tournaments infact at times I am playing upto 6 tournaments at a time and all low level (under $25) so when I do manage to place I am only winning small amounts which do not cover my entry fees for all the games played.

Using the data I hope to turn this around in the coming year, I have started by playing 1 tournament at a time and by doing this I can play at a entrance fee a little higher than all those small ones put together, I can use the positives from the data held on me (there are a few) and understand I have a good record in certain tournament games and play in these games abit more often (PLO PLDRAW and 7STUD shows me a positive roi, with 7stud actually showing a positive of over 80%).

So even after 5years of online poker and listening/reading ect, am glad to say am still learning, now I know many of you guys can clearly show +$ and some even massive returns playing cash tables, infact since my start on cash tables playing at low level I can offset my tournament losses, but thats not what this post is about, its showing that some of us and indeed others can be easily dissalusioned or fooled by data and info held on 3rd party sites, indeed this all came about by some player sitting at a table telling everyone how much theve won lost ect and then telling everyone I had over $15k in winnings (if only they knew the truth).

So to wrap this up, I understand I can learn all the time and infact have just started to use my learnings by playing 1 tournament at a time ($27.50 entered twice cashed twice) and am sure if I stick to this I will soon win a reasonable prize which will turn around my stats.

My positive game results are games I never really considered or thought of much but lately after understanding am quite good at these Omaha-Stud I will play more of and true to form I cashed in my latest stud.

So ive posted this as a topic I dont know if you guys have any thoughts on it or feelings, infact I think ive rambled on abit, but I hope some of you can comment.