The TalkingPoker.com Forum  

Go Back   The TalkingPoker.com Forum > All Things Poker > General Poker Discussion
Register Blogs Arcade HH Converter Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-06, 11:06 AM
Fish

mrpotto has between -10 and 0 Rep Points
Smile Reloaded-update on me

As you may recall, I posted a while ago whining about having busted my bankroll. At the time, I also expressed some concerns about how much time I was spending playing on-line poker coupled with my natural degenerate gambling tendencies . Here's an update. I took a few weeks off - it wasn't that tough and have since reloaded $100 on pp. So far - so good. My bankroll is up to around $600 and I've played within myself. Previously I had been a limit player with not very good results. This time I've focused on .25/.5 NLHE and $11 sit n gos. I'm doing much better at the sit n gos (net winnings of 350 in 23 sit n gos plus $100 net from a 50 person MTT vs. net winnings of only $50 in cash games). So far I've avoided temptation to move up to $22 sit n gos. And I'm obviously still figuring out the cash games which I enjoy (I know I need to get better here) but I was able to clear my 500 raked hands to get my $50 PP bonus without busting my bankroll. I find that I may be better suited for NL since I have a naturally agressive style that I wasn't able to fully capitalize on with low limit poker.
I've also avoided the temptation to load the software onto my work pc so I've been able to stay productive at work. So I'm cautiously optimistic here.

Just an update--comments welcome.

Chris
Old 04-17-06, 11:51 AM
Adminimus Maximus

Talking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep Points

Without digging up your old threads, I do remember your situation, and I think you playing AT ALL is a very bad idea. But I'm not at all surprised that you're playing again.

GL to you. And I don't mean poker-wise, I mean with all the other things in your life-wise.

Got RakeBack?
27% at Full Tilt | 33% at Cake Poker | 30% at Carbon Poker
Old 04-17-06, 12:56 PM
Fish

Default clarification

I do recall you saying that it would be unwise for me to gamble again on-line. Why do you think its such a bad idea? If I am able to keep things in perspective and play within my limits I should be fine. I know that may be a big if. However, I got into issues 20 years ago with sports gambling and have not looked back after getting through that. Point is I am able to show self control when I feel the situation has spiraled out of control. Yes, I have paid some hard on-line lessons already but is this so dissimilar to the plight of others? To date I've lost around $500 (previous reloads down $1,000-current reload I'm plus $500) playing on-line poker (Yes I did also lose $2000 in one frenetic full tilt session playing blackjack on-line but will never ever do that again of that I am 100% sure). Isn't everyone who posts here "gambling"? Anyway, who knows maybe your right and I can't see the forest through the trees. Time will tell.
Old 04-17-06, 01:23 PM
Seven Card Stud

Tony Cheval has between 250 and 499 Rep PointsTony Cheval has between 250 and 499 Rep PointsTony Cheval has between 250 and 499 Rep Points

When it comes to addiction, it's like the old saying:

It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game.
Old 04-17-06, 01:26 PM
Shark

johnp158 has between 250 and 499 Rep Pointsjohnp158 has between 250 and 499 Rep Pointsjohnp158 has between 250 and 499 Rep Pointsjohnp158 has between 250 and 499 Rep Points

I think that his point was that some people seem to be able to handle gambling and to control compulsive behaviors that are so likely. And some cannot. If you can play responsibly, within your limits, without blowing it all on the blackjack or sidebets, you can probably handle it. If not, you're likely headed for trouble.

And you're still playing above your bankroll at .25/.50 NL.
Old 04-17-06, 02:13 PM
Fish

Default Got it

Yea, I got it. For me the key is staying off tilt. On pp, the lowest blinds offered are the .25/.50 NL.
Old 04-17-06, 02:39 PM
I'm on a boat

Reel Deal has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsReel Deal has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsReel Deal has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsReel Deal has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsReel Deal has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsReel Deal has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsReel Deal has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsReel Deal has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsReel Deal has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsReel Deal has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsReel Deal has between 3000 and 3499 Rep Points

No, they have .10/.25 NL at Party.
Old 04-17-06, 03:01 PM
Fish

Default my bad

I have been playing the .10/.25 NLHE cash games-max buy in of $25. Duh.
Old 04-17-06, 04:05 PM
Shark

jimmym has between 250 and 499 Rep Pointsjimmym has between 250 and 499 Rep Pointsjimmym has between 250 and 499 Rep Points

mrpotto, I read your previous posts and I really do hope things go good for you but I fear you are addicted and a few weeks sitting back wont help you you openly say a few years ago you got into problems and again a few weeks ago you went on tilt but now you feel because you are playing lower limits you are now ok. I feel you need to asses your situation and really consider if gambling is a good thing for you and your family.

Is gambling even at low limits really worth the hasstle in the long run, is there anything else you could do which would give you the same satisfaction well then if you can think of something get out of the gambling you sound like you have a real problem just by saying you removed software well listen this wont help you know anytime you can easily download in seconds and start again. I think you need help with this before it hurts you again and I really do hope it goes well for you.
You may have a gambling addiction if:
You take time from work and family life to gamble.
You secretly gamble.
You feel remorse after gambling and repeatedly vow to quit. You may even quit for a while, but then start again.
You don't plan to gamble. You just "end up" gambling. And you gamble until your last dollar is gone.
You gamble with money you need to pay bills or solve financial problems. You lie, steal, borrow or sell things to get gambling money.
When you lose, you gamble to win back your losses. When you win, you gamble to win more. You dream of the "big win" and what it will buy.
You gamble both when you feel "down" and when you feel like celebrating.
Seeking help early reduces the risk that your compulsive gambling will lead to severe family problems and financial difficulties.
Because denial is nearly always a characteristic of addictive behavior, it may be difficult for you to recognize a gambling addiction and to seek help on your own. It often takes family members, friends or co-workers to persuade a person with a gambling addiction to seek treatment.

Good Luck man, hope whatever you choose works.
Old 04-17-06, 05:20 PM
Fish

Default thanks jimmy

I read the traits of those with gambling issues and I can't honestly say I pass all tests. Can you? Lately I have been spending a lot of time playing poker and reading, watching all that I can. It's probably a combo of me really liking the game (really only discovered it about a year ago) and the gambling aspects. My personality is such that I get consumed with something once it catches my fancy. Years ago I took up running and got completely consumed in the competitive aspects of it. Same thing, reading, on-line message boards, long runs with friends, etc. Albeit a much healthier hobby, I was consumed to the same degree as I am now with poker. I can get some bang for the buck just playing low limits but I must admit, I'd like to make some cash from this hobby. I appreciate the advice and know I need to be careful.
Closed Thread