The TalkingPoker.com Forum  

Go Back   The TalkingPoker.com Forum > All Things Poker > General Poker Discussion
Register Blogs Arcade HH Converter Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-08, 02:23 AM
Calling Station

CalifNaughti has between 10 and 49 Rep Points
Default Survivor Talking Poker

How about a new game for everyone to play. As a fan of Survivor I thought...hmmm how could I incorporate poker into this game...simple Lets play Survivor Poker...or in this case Survivor Talking Poker...Obviously there will be other forums involved..but it should be alot of fun!! Please let me know if you are interested in participating in this game as we would like to start next week. Each forum will consist of a team of players..Each forum will have the exact amount of players..There will be a 10$ upfront entry fee for each player. This is a one time fee and it ALL goes completely into the pot to be won by the final Survivor.

General rules... if you've seen the show then you know the general rules. If not, lets see...

In the beginning each forum will be a team. A game will be played and the team whos member comes in 1st will have "immunity" (they will lose no members). The losing team will vote off one member (everyone has one vote, whoever gets the most votes is gone). It will be a private vote, the only person who gets to see the vote list is the person playing the host Josh Probst. The person voted out will be out of the game.

Along the way teams MAY lose and aquire members, eventually the teams will merge into a single team where only the winner of a tourny will have immunity. There will be a hidden immunity that you can keep for yourself, hold it for as long as you like if you earn it and only use it when you feel you need to... there will (hopefully) be rewards you can earn along the way... I see PMs flying back and forth, IM screennames being exchanged, alliances being formed (and broken)... almost anything goes.

Some people in the beginning may see it as a popularity contest but what it comes down to... only one person will win the $$$ prize (this is determined by how many players are on a team). And do you really want to take the popular ones with you?

As for playing the games, you don't have to play ANY games if you don't want to (though I wouldn't recommend that hehehe). If you miss a game, your teammates may see that as a reason to kick you out but from a stratagy standpoint I don't see the reasoning.

And for how long it will take... well, one person will be booted after every game so it will take some time. I recommend 2 games per week but we will start with one and see what everyone thinks about adding another.

Ahhh yes, end game. Once you get to the final 9, each person voted out will become a member of the jury. It will end up with the final 2 and 7 members of the jury. These 7 people will be the ones who decide who gets the prize. Once we hit the final 2, the 7 jury members will each cast a vote for who they think should win the $$$ (determined by how many players there are). Whoever gets the most votes wins. One note, once we get down to 9 each person voted out will receive a complete list of the vote that kicked them out (yes, they will know if you voted for them). There will be more to it (a Q&A with the jury members, final statements from the final 2, etc) but this is the general layout of Survivor Poker.

Thats the general gist of it, any more questions feel free to ask. This is just an idea I came up with to add a lil spice to the game. Please let me know if you are interested in playing. Id like to get this game going this coming Tues.
Cali

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the donkey, I will fear no river....
Old 02-21-08, 09:50 AM
<--------- dickhead

stormswa has between 100 and 249 Rep Pointsstormswa has between 100 and 249 Rep Points

This is a interesting Idea, if you can give us more time like more then a week Im sure my forum would be involved. How many "teams" would you like to get involved? Let me know if you can extend the time frame to sign up for this and if you can with your permission I will paste this on my forum and see if anyone is interested in joining.
Old 02-21-08, 11:43 AM
Run Silent || Run Deep

BlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsBlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsBlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsBlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsBlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsBlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsBlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep Points

$10 is a one-time fee for the WHOLE game, right?

Each event will have a buy-in (5.50?)?

All quirks/twists should be predetermined and "sealed" until they are revealed to everyone. That means that if Cali (for example) is going to play on a team, you should have no part in coming up with the twist revealed half way through (includes how and when merging and player swaps will happen, rewards,hidden immunity!, etc). Someone (trusted by all parties to keep the secrets) needs to play the host/organizer and implement all of the surprises.

You COULD come up with the structure for the hidden immunity (for example) as say a certain winning hand shown down during a certain event (or set of events). Then the host chooses the actual showdown hand (Jxs or something) and the game(s) to be included (2nd-5ths events) and then watches all the tables for a Jxs to be shown down as a winner and the first time it happens that player has immunity. That way, the actual cards/games are secret but you can still be involved in the planning to some extent (Seems like you would like to do that based on all the interesting events you come up with) or you COULD just be the host.....

I could put together a little summary page/blog/site with some cool graphics for this.

IMO, this should be figured out by next week and then start the week after? Similar to the TP League thread, there are a lot of little housekeeping issues that need to be spelled out before this starts to avoid disagreements 1/2 way through when there is money/prizes on the line.
I am in, sounds cool.

Also, How many teams will there be? 2-3, 4, 5? How many players per team?

http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/blog.php?u=64

Last edited by BlibbityBlabbity; 02-21-08 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-21-08, 11:56 AM
Calling Station

Ok, Let me get back to you some time today on this. Sounds great though! What I am really wanting is a list of people that will definatly be playing this. This is really going to be something big though!!
Can you imagine everyone looking for the hidden amunities???
Just let me know if your interested in playing here.
Cali

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the donkey, I will fear no river....
Old 02-21-08, 12:53 PM
Adminimus Maximus

Talking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep Points

I think this sound very cool, but I completely agree with Blibbity - there are a LOT of issues that NEED to be worked out first. In addition to everything he asked/suggested, here are some thoughts of my own:

1. This is a very complex league and it's going to take a long time to complete. Rather than a relatively small $10 entry (2 buy ins) and winner take all, I'd prefer to see it $20, with the winner taking 60% of the prizepool (this is actually MORE $ than you would have had them winning), 2nd place getting a runner up 20% of the prizepool, third place getting 10% of the prize pool, leaving 10% of the prizepool for one or more random awards along the way. You know how on the show they give away a car after a certain challenge - well, this could be like that. It could be for anything... This way, more people have a shot at money in the end, which will make the alliances and all that much more interesting.

2. Who is Josh Probst? Is that a play on words - do you have a Josh lined up for the job? I agree that it is crucial that someone who isn't playing host this if you want it to be complicated with twists along the way. If you simplify it and spell everything out ahead of time (which I think is a MUCH better idea, personally), including when the merges will happen, etc, then we wouldn't need an official, non-playing host, other than having someone be in charge of the votes.

3. Say there are 4 teams. How do you plan to balance the players? Also, do you want to have the single winner of the event's team get immunity, or would you rather add up each team's finishing places (with 20 people 1st = 20 points, 2nd = 19, and so on) and have the best TEAM finish get immunity? I think the latter is more fair and would make for better voting.

4. However #3 is determined, say Team TP wins immunity. Do all three of the other teams have to vote someone off... If you score by team points like I suggested, you could actually just have the WORST team vote someone off and that would be it. That would make for a longer league, but I think it's a better way to go with multiple teams.

Either way, after the first week, the teams won't be balanced... so if you go with the team score method, each team with extra players will have to drop their X number of lowest scores (that's WAY better than having people sit out). That would be a really good way to do it, if you think about it.

5. General question - what exact time do you have in mind for this? My suggestion is to have it after Survivor airs (whenever that is), with maybe a small buffer in between. So if Survivor is from 8-9, do it at 9:30 (our usual league time, which works out well).

6. How will things work when you get down to the final 3? Basically, they will play a 3 person tourney and the winner will decide who they want to take to the final 2 with them, right? (This is a very good reason for the adjusted Top 3 payout structure I suggested). Then, instead of playing HU, that will be the end and the jury will vote. I personally don't think sharing the past votes with the jury is necessary, and once again, I think that's just overcomplicating things and will once again lead to hard feelings.

7. Who is going to hold the money? I trust you and I'm sure most people here do too, but I will volunteer my "TalkingPoker" Stars account for this if you want. We've run a LOT of leagues and events and everything else where I've needed to hold money for people, with no problems ever. I just think people might be more likely to join if they KNOW that a trusted source is holding the money than if they HOPE a trusted source is, you know? The TP Stars account is for exactly this - it's not even enabled for playing.

8. Passwords. You are going to have to either make private tourneys every single week and be very careful about how you distribute the passwords (remember, people can't play any more once they are voted out), OR you can let anyone play, but just not count the finishes from the people voted out. The problem with the latter is potential collusion, which again - if it happens or not, I can almost guarantee there will be hard feelings. It would be much better to ONLY allow the paid members who haven't been voted out to play, and that's going to be a pain in the ass as far as password distribution is concerned.

Hmmm... I think that's it for right now. Like I said though, it is imperitive that all the kinks be worked out ahead of time, and I highly recommend spelling everything out. If people start winning things without anyone knowing how or why they won them, I guarantee there will be hard feelings somewhere. Just spell it all out ahead of time - everything - and there will be no problems. Like, once down to a single team (with alliances that I suspect will run along forum lines), obviously the event winner will get immunity, but if you wat to have a hidden immunity too, you should state AHEAD of time what needs to happen to "find" it - ie, win a hand with 72o and show it to the table... something like that.

Very cool idea for a league. Work out the kinks and I'm fully supportive.

Got RakeBack?
27% at Full Tilt | 33% at Cake Poker | 30% at Carbon Poker
Old 02-21-08, 05:07 PM
Thousand Post Club

VeryMoonFunk has between 250 and 499 Rep PointsVeryMoonFunk has between 250 and 499 Rep PointsVeryMoonFunk has between 250 and 499 Rep PointsVeryMoonFunk has between 250 and 499 Rep Points

FWIW, it's Jeff Probst.

Just felt like being a stickler.
Old 02-21-08, 06:16 PM
Fish

FinK22 has less than 10 Rep Points

Yes
Yes
I am the host, I am in charge of all aspects of this (Cali's post above was written by me on another forum, I asked her to offer it to you). She has no more knowledge of anything that is in store than anyone else has. And I am simply the host, I am not participating.
Sounds good
I have all details under control. If you have specific questions I will be glad to answer them but some aspects will not be known to players in advance (just as Survivors aren't given advance knowledge of everything in store for them.
I can answer this if it absolutely must be answered for people to want to play.
I'm right on top of that Rose!
If we raise the buyin I could agree to 1st getting 60%, 2nd getting 20% and 20% going towards rewards but I'm not paying more than 2 places.
I am your host and am not participating.
A nice showing does no good in the game of Survivor... you have to win.
Only one person will be voted out for each game played.
More incentive to start out winning.
Games go off at 9:15pm EST
If you've watched Survivor you know how it works... if not, well who am I to spoil all of the fun?
Anyone who has hard feelings over a game may not want to play then...
I have asked Cali to hold the money. I have no problem with her placing it in your account or not, she is trustworthy.
I will set up the private tourny every week. Only ones who can leak the password are those still involved in the game and there isn't much you can do about it if a member decides to do this (though I can't imagine why they would). On the off chance that it happens and they win, if will be the highest finishing person still in the game.
The kinks are my department. There are 2 hidden immunities and no, qualifications for receiving them will NOT be made public. Say it was winning a hand with 72o... once someone accomplished this everyone would know they had the hidden immunity... what fun would that be?
Old 02-21-08, 06:36 PM
CELTICS BACK TO BACK BITCHES

drewjax has between 250 and 499 Rep Pointsdrewjax has between 250 and 499 Rep Pointsdrewjax has between 250 and 499 Rep Pointsdrewjax has between 250 and 499 Rep Pointsdrewjax has between 250 and 499 Rep Points

tl;dr

GL

Old 02-21-08, 09:10 PM
Adminimus Maximus

Talking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep Points

Right. I assumed she had a friend named "Josh" who was planning on being the host of this thing... hence Josh Probst.

Got RakeBack?
Old 02-21-08, 09:21 PM
Adminimus Maximus

I think you are going to regret some of your decisions, but hey, GL. My friendly advice to you is to really think long and hard about ways people might try to beat the system (ie, collusion from players not in the league) and try your best to prevent it up front. That's just the smart way to go about doing things and save yourself the headaches later on.

Also, do you think people are going to be comfortable with you being the only one knowing how you are going to reward hidden immunities? I mean, when your friend Cali legitimately gets it the first week, don't you think anyone is going to think something fishy was going on? I'm just suggesting you simplify things to cover your own ass, but again, it's your deal, so do whatever you want.

9:15 PM on what day of the week?

Last comment, regarding this:

"A nice showing does no good in the game of Survivor... you have to win."

Yes, your TEAM has to win. If one person on the team does well and everyone else sucks, the team still loses and has to vote someone out. Think about it.

Also, assuming you do go with the individul winner's team having immunity thing, how does that work for everyone else (assuming more than 2 teams)? Do they ALL vote, or does just one of the losing teams vote (like in Survivor)?

You really need to work out these details.

Got RakeBack?
Old 02-21-08, 09:47 PM
Im so over her!!!!!

New Guy has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsNew Guy has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsNew Guy has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsNew Guy has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsNew Guy has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsNew Guy has between 500 and 749 Rep Points

Lets do this tp !! Im in
Old 02-21-08, 10:08 PM
Fish

Collusion from people not in the league? How? Doesn't make sense to me...
There are two and I am pretty sure there will be no arguments about them
Tuesday
A team could play great and be screwed over by a single person who can't hold their breath for 20 seconds to dive down and get a key... winning is everything.
I'm well aware that you guys don't know me from Adam. the details are all worked out
Old 02-21-08, 11:15 PM
Calling Station

robthedlphin has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

This looks fun, and I'd probably join in, except 3:15 Hawaiian time on Tuesdays won't work for me.
Old 02-21-08, 11:52 PM
Adminimus Maximus

Example: Down to 6 players, my alliance/team/whatever is down to just me and I'm on the ropes. So I leak the password and 4 of my buddies show up and we collude so I win the tourney and get immunity.

This is an extreme example that would be obvious to spot, but surely you can see how ANYONE playing who isn't supposed to be is a problem.

Moreover, what's to prevent my "alliance" from getting on AIM and sharing our hole cards with each other?

The more I think about it, the more I think this might not work.

But I'm glad you are confident.

Got RakeBack?
Old 02-22-08, 12:15 AM
Fish

Thats kinda silly
If you are like most forums then I would imagine you have members who become very good friends. You also hold your own private tournaments if I'm not mistaken. What is to stop your members from getting on AIM and sharing info during your forums games? At some point, especially with something like this which is designed to be fun, you just have to trust that people are honest.
How can you trust your members in private TP games but not in something like this? It isn't like we are talking about alot of money here...
I certainly am... I'm not one to focus on the negative
Old 02-22-08, 12:25 AM
Adminimus Maximus

Oh, I trust the TP members.

Got RakeBack?
Old 02-22-08, 12:35 AM
Fish

Because they belong to your forum? Aside from that, what is it that makes them any different from the majority of members at other forums?

If you want to assume the non-TP members involved in this are crooked and looking for ways to cheat thats fine. Something tells me the TP members who end up playing this won't be thinking along the same lines
Old 02-22-08, 12:45 AM
Fish

Sure, feel free to post it as I do need one more forum (what forum is it btw?). Looks like the time is going to be extended by one week, game one should go off on Tuesday March 4th.

Not everyone who wants to play is going to get the chance in Season One. There will be an equal number of players from each forum... if you want in please post ASAP. the final list of official participants will be released Sunday March 2nd.
Old 02-22-08, 01:46 AM
Calling Station

Just getting the new date it starts up to post in 6 worded sentence.

Old 02-22-08, 04:44 PM
WA's most wanted

2Tone has between 1500 and 1999 Rep Points2Tone has between 1500 and 1999 Rep Points2Tone has between 1500 and 1999 Rep Points2Tone has between 1500 and 1999 Rep Points2Tone has between 1500 and 1999 Rep Points2Tone has between 1500 and 1999 Rep Points2Tone has between 1500 and 1999 Rep Points2Tone has between 1500 and 1999 Rep Points2Tone has between 1500 and 1999 Rep Points2Tone has between 1500 and 1999 Rep Points2Tone has between 1500 and 1999 Rep Points
Default Huh?

Is this post some new form of Haiku?
Old 02-22-08, 09:52 PM
Professional Amateur

Invigilator has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsInvigilator has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsInvigilator has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsInvigilator has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsInvigilator has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsInvigilator has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsInvigilator has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsInvigilator has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsInvigilator has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsInvigilator has between 1000 and 1499 Rep Points

doubt it. The structure is all wrong. 5-7-5.
Old 02-22-08, 09:59 PM
Adminimus Maximus

I highly doubt it.
The structure is not quite right.
Five Seven Five, please.

Sheesh.

Got RakeBack?
Old 02-22-08, 10:12 PM
Me

Robbr25 has between 250 and 499 Rep PointsRobbr25 has between 250 and 499 Rep PointsRobbr25 has between 250 and 499 Rep PointsRobbr25 has between 250 and 499 Rep Points

These posts are way to long to read.
Old 02-22-08, 10:28 PM
Adminimus Maximus

Sounds like team captain talk right there.

Got RakeBack?
Old 02-23-08, 01:20 PM
Calling Station

Game sounds great! Lets get some signups going here. I have one question though. Is it $10 or $20? If it's $20 I need to send more money

Closed Thread