The TalkingPoker.com Forum  

Go Back   The TalkingPoker.com Forum > All Things Poker > General Poker Discussion
Register Blogs Arcade HH Converter Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-20-05, 12:47 PM
Fish

MadNinja has between 10 and 49 Rep Points
Default The 5 Levels of a poker player

This was posted by ChipFish a little while ago:

I've posted this before, but it's certainly worth posting again: As your poker game improves, you advance through a number of "levels." In the list below, Penguinfan is saying Level 1 people need to get to Level 2, which is true, but keep in mind how much farther there is to go.

1. Knowing what you have.
2. Knowing what your opponent has.
3. Knowing what your opponent thinks you have.
4. Knowing what your opponent thinks you think he has.
5. Knowing what your opponent thinks you think he thinks you have.

It's interesting how complicated a game poker becomes the deeper you get into it. I can't even begin to fathom levels 4 and 5 in the near future, but I think it's important that ChipFish mentioned these levels because it's true- your own cards are only a miniscule part of the hand.

What interests me with these levels at my stage of the game is Level 2.
It's not enough to just find the aggressive and tight players at a table. I've started to get curious now when people limp into pots (especially aggressive players) and certain all-in bets to steal pots. I was wondering what types of things the more skilled players look for when reading hands. I guess the obvious one would be betting patterns (especially online) but what else should I be looking for?

In terms of betting patterns, what are the signs of a small pair, a high pair and rags? I think if I can get a good handle on Level 2 I won't be crying that the sites are rigged-LOL.