The TalkingPoker.com Forum  

Go Back   The TalkingPoker.com Forum > All Things Poker > General Poker Discussion
Register Blogs Arcade HH Converter Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-06, 04:18 AM
Shark

Akverno has between 250 and 499 Rep PointsAkverno has between 250 and 499 Rep PointsAkverno has between 250 and 499 Rep Points
Default Punky's thread

Punkychikn started up a thread asking questions about HU sit n gos. And there was a thread here a while back asking for HU advice. I had more of a general question. I used to play a lot of these and had a lot of success in them, but they get to be quite boring, and as the bankroll increases each step up becomes harder. Long story short, I still love heads up, but I play them less frequently. I guess my question is this, you're faced with a marginal call early on. Ie. strong Ace mid pocket pair opponent goes all in. In the long run in cheap HU SnG's 5-10 mainly, some 20's you'll be ahead probably 35% of the time, be dominated maybe 20% and the remainding 45% it'll be one form of a race or another.

When I was playing a ton of heads up I treated this like a limit hand. In the long run this call will make money so I'd call it without looking back. So here's my actual question:

If you're playing a lot of heads up should you treat each situation seperately and try to factor in being able to outplay the guy over the course of the game, or just call with your edge in odds (and utilize economics of scale so to speak) and over the course of the day or a session and realize what should be a slight gain?

Don't get me wrong, these situations would pop up maybe 1 out of every 10-15 games. I just always thought that I'd treat these as a +EV situation long term and make the call. What do you guys think?
Old 06-30-06, 11:12 AM
Cardinals FTW

JDMcNugent7 has between 1500 and 1999 Rep PointsJDMcNugent7 has between 1500 and 1999 Rep PointsJDMcNugent7 has between 1500 and 1999 Rep PointsJDMcNugent7 has between 1500 and 1999 Rep PointsJDMcNugent7 has between 1500 and 1999 Rep PointsJDMcNugent7 has between 1500 and 1999 Rep PointsJDMcNugent7 has between 1500 and 1999 Rep PointsJDMcNugent7 has between 1500 and 1999 Rep PointsJDMcNugent7 has between 1500 and 1999 Rep PointsJDMcNugent7 has between 1500 and 1999 Rep PointsJDMcNugent7 has between 1500 and 1999 Rep Points

I'm planning on starting a little HU SNG "challenge" type of thing I'm going to do sometime soon. I think it is one of the most overlooked parts of easy money from online poker. Probably because - Yes, they do get very boring.

For your taking calculated risks question: If you are going to take small edges, if that edge is only 5%, its actually a break even play over the long run, because u have to factor in the rake the site takes.
In those 5 & 10 dollar ones, I would see how u could get caught up making calls like that, since so often u are ahead. The thing is - i bet u have a bigger edge over those guys in the long run, (15%-20%?), than ur small favorite 5% edge call does, esp. after u factor in the rake.
Closed Thread