The TalkingPoker.com Forum  

Go Back   The TalkingPoker.com Forum > Off Topic > Sports
Register Blogs Arcade HH Converter Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-04, 09:27 AM
MC Adam Yauch

PShabi has between 2500 and 2999 Rep PointsPShabi has between 2500 and 2999 Rep PointsPShabi has between 2500 and 2999 Rep PointsPShabi has between 2500 and 2999 Rep PointsPShabi has between 2500 and 2999 Rep PointsPShabi has between 2500 and 2999 Rep PointsPShabi has between 2500 and 2999 Rep PointsPShabi has between 2500 and 2999 Rep PointsPShabi has between 2500 and 2999 Rep PointsPShabi has between 2500 and 2999 Rep PointsPShabi has between 2500 and 2999 Rep Points
Default That jackass who threw beer on Artest

I challenge anyone who condemns Artest. I would've done the same thing. And if I were Jackson, probably the same. He came flying in and when the second jackass dumped on Artest he got popped. Good.

I'm happy that all the players got out without getting hit, and every dumbass fan took at least one on the chin. I'll be ringing this douchebag when my rates go down after 9.

"John Green of West Bloomfield Township was identified as the fan who
threw the cup at Artest, said David Gorcyca, the Oakland County
prosecutor. The Detroit Free Press reported late Monday that Green has
several criminal convictions, including felony assault with intent to do
great bodily harm. Green has three drunken-driving convictions, and
Gorcyca said a condition of Green's probation was that he not drink
alcohol."

He's losing his season tickets, Artest is losing well over 5 million
dollars.
Old 11-23-04, 09:35 AM
Maniac

jimmytheg has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

his phone number has probably already been changed, but thats a moot point. I dont know if you saw this, but a local Detroit tv station sent a reporter to this guy's house....and after saying he had no comment, he sent his german shepard outside after the reporter. Nothing bad happened, the dog actually ran the opposite way, but the jerkoff was trying to direct the dog at the reporter. Fucking lowlife....I think the most telling part was when artest first went into the stands, this guy sidestepped and pushed artest into the innocent kid....then jumped on him from behind....pussy
Old 11-23-04, 09:37 AM
Fmr. Resident Asshole

Aequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsAequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsAequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsAequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsAequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsAequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsAequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsAequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep Points

So, you think it's acceptable for an athlete to take action when he gets heckled? Players, with their millions, should have thick skin when it comes to fans, especially of other cities. His actions were terrible.

Going into the stands like that - what a mess.

So what if that other fuck loses his season tickets... and SO WHAT if Artest loses 5 million. People should learn to be more responsible for their actions - especially professional athletes.
Old 11-23-04, 09:48 AM
MC Adam Yauch

PShabi has between 2500 and 2999 Rep PointsPShabi has between 2500 and 2999 Rep PointsPShabi has between 2500 and 2999 Rep PointsPShabi has between 2500 and 2999 Rep PointsPShabi has between 2500 and 2999 Rep PointsPShabi has between 2500 and 2999 Rep PointsPShabi has between 2500 and 2999 Rep PointsPShabi has between 2500 and 2999 Rep PointsPShabi has between 2500 and 2999 Rep PointsPShabi has between 2500 and 2999 Rep PointsPShabi has between 2500 and 2999 Rep Points

Heckling and assault are two very different things. The players, in a perfect world, should be professional and immune to it. However, I would've done the same if I were Artest in the heat of the moment.

If I walked up to someone on the street and threw a drink on them I could rightfully be arrested.
Old 11-23-04, 09:52 AM
Maniac

yes going into the stands was wrong, but charles barkley had a good point i think. He said, to paraphrase, if you were walking down the street and you threw a beer into some guy's face....would you expect him to just keep walking or punch you in the face?

Going into the stands was stupid...but I don't think that action itself deserves a year suspension. Vernon Maxwell did the same thing a few years ago and only got a 10 game suspension. Because of the ensuing melee, and the national never-ending press, Stern has to send a message....and Artest gets 7 times more punishment than Maxwell did for in essence the same crime.

But, that's life I guess....Stern is over-punishing this instance in the hopes it will never happen again. I bet it will though....probably not this year or the next, but it will definately happen again
Old 11-23-04, 10:01 AM
MC Adam Yauch

I think Artest will get his reduced. I think 40 games is enough.
Old 11-23-04, 10:16 AM
Fmr. Resident Asshole

Aequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsAequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsAequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsAequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsAequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsAequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsAequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsAequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep Points

Yes they are two different things, we agree. The players should be professional and immune to it, we agree. And, if you would have done the same thing Artest did, then you would have an early off-season.

Just like Ben Wallace says, "I don't feel sorry for him, you have to take responsibility for your actions."

Your other argument is misleading. You have to understand, if you throw a drink on me, and I punch you - it's different than if you throw a drink on a professional and he attacks you. Professional athletes are held to a higher standard than "everyday people." So, while Charles Barkley is making a point, it's not a good one.
Old 11-23-04, 10:18 AM
Sir Waffles House of Fun

SirFWALGMan has between 50 and 99 Rep Points
Default Hot Head

I heard that he attacked the wrong guy? He just rushed into the stands in the general direction the cup came from and started wacking people. I think you need to at least figure out who the right person to pound is. He was just out of control.
Old 11-23-04, 10:36 AM
Proud TeamSWA Member

ChipFish has between 250 and 499 Rep PointsChipFish has between 250 and 499 Rep PointsChipFish has between 250 and 499 Rep PointsChipFish has between 250 and 499 Rep Points

From the standpoint of the law... Artest is in trouble.
He was not protecting himself... He was retaliating.

From the standpoint of the league.... He is in bigger trouble...
He attacked several of the people that make the league money.
As well as turned off at least one fan (Anyone see the little boy crying?)

A professional sports league will not and should not tolerate a player going into the stands for any reason aside to shake hands, catch a ball, accidentally etc.
Although it may not seem fair, Professional athletes do have a higher standard to live up to.

Edit to add: Just wanted to point out that I really did love watching it!
Heard after the game "Hey I went to the basketball game and a hockey game broke out!"
Old 11-23-04, 11:43 AM
Shark

eddo31 has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

i thought it was interesting seeing what chris chelios had to say about the incident. he was at the game, sitting courtside, and he said it was absolutely insane. he also said that it was clearly wrong to go into the stands, but at the same time he didnt think he would have remained on the court if his teammate was in the stands. he would have gone in as well, is what he said, even though he knew it would be wrong.

mitch albom had some interesting things to say in his column yesterday, basically saying that this is a black eye for everyone involved.
Old 11-23-04, 11:58 AM
MC Adam Yauch

I played basketball in high school and we were really tight. Any scuffle my teammate was involved in woulda led me right in, no questions asked. Your brother goes into a fight, whether he started it or not, you'll be right behind him.

Woulda done exactly what Stephen Jackson did.
Old 11-23-04, 01:00 PM
Maniac

TajaUk has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

lol i would have loved to have seen this happen. Similar things have happened over in the Uk a few times, but never as a result of people actually throwing things at the sportperson involved. He deserved a right good slapping hope he gets arrested for assault.
Old 11-23-04, 01:40 PM
Captain Charisma!

GeoffM has between 100 and 249 Rep PointsGeoffM has between 100 and 249 Rep Points

Of course Ben Wallace said this, he got a slap on the wrist for starting the melee that ensued.

Granted Artest may be in trouble, but he could also counter-sue the guy that threw the beverage at him, the arena for security (or lack thereof), possibly the NBA for wrongful suspension, etc., etc., etc. There will be a lot of lawsuits here.

And to say athletes are held higher is one thing, but when someone throws something at you is quite another thing. Where do you draw the line? Perhaps I'll throw a hardball at Barry Bonds next time I am in left field at a Giants game, are you saying he has no right to come up and slap me upside my head with his steroid-esque arms? Come on, what Artest did was human and the NBA is discarding him like some cheap piece of garbage when in actuality they should be trying to get him some help.

And if Artest didn't go into the stands, we all know (or at least I do, I studied sociology ) that humans, especially when drinking, become a bunch of monkeys, meaning they mimic what others will do. He would have likely been pelted either way, so in the heat of the moment I would have done the same thing as I'm sure all of the people on this board would.
Old 11-23-04, 01:42 PM
Captain Charisma!

GeoffM has between 100 and 249 Rep PointsGeoffM has between 100 and 249 Rep Points

Trust me, if you needed to see this, just throw in a random English soccer game with thousands of drunken englishman in the stands when a fight breaks out.

I'm sure if you do a google search you are likely to find the clip. On TSN up here they even showed the chair that was tossed randomly thru the air, I wonder who that hit?
Old 11-24-04, 11:05 AM
Maniac

the chair hit an older gentleman who was knocked unconsious, horrible spelling i know. if i'm not mistaken he is one of the people who have already sued.
Old 11-24-04, 11:16 AM
Maniac

TajaUk has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

lol, i have been watching Leeds UTD for years, thru the years I have seen riots, many many fights, police charges, drunken stampedes etc etc.. Its really cleaned itself up over the last 10 years, no such fun at soccer games now.
Old 11-24-04, 11:45 AM
Maniac

Thats bullshit. Why are professional athletes held to a higher standard? Because they make a lot of money? These players are paid to entertain people, not to make decisons or policies that affect people's lives like, say, politicians. They should be held to a higher standard....teachers should be held to higher standards......COPS should be held to a higher standard. Athletes are not role models, nor are they saints. Barkley makes a great point, your point is the one that isnt very good.

Why should athletes be immune to things being thrown at them. When a fan buys a ticket, it does not give them the right to throw anything. Heckling and taunting is fine, even when it is in bad taste. But when a fan breaks that invisible barrier and throws something on the court, they are completely out of line. That was the THIRD time Artest had been hit by something during his career. And it has happened way too many times to other players in every sport over the years. Fans from your beloved Philly have thrown fucking BATTERIES at players before.

Who holds professional athletes to a higher standard than everyday people? Not cops, not the press. Gone are the days of Mickey Mantle or Joe Dimaggio where ballplayers were American icons. Any parent who encourages their child to emulate or look up to a pro athlete, with rare exceptions, should be shot.

Your argument that players should be immune to people throwing things at them is absolute garbage. It is completely unacceptable for fans to throw anything, or to step foot onto the court or field, period. I wish Artest saw John Green throw the cup, and I wish Artest knocked him the fuck out. Maybe that would teach a lesson to self-rightous fans who think that because they bought a ticket they can do whatever they want with no consequences
Old 11-25-04, 08:12 AM
Captain Charisma!

Precisely the above post. However, I do see that some pro athletes can be looked at as role models, I don't think NBA, or maybe even most MLB players, can be. I'd look more at NFL qbs and some NHL players first.

Like I said, the NBA has been out to discard Artest for years. If the NBA gets sued, it is almost guaranteed that Artest will sue someones ass too. If the fan that threw the cup is going to sue him for whatever, he might want to think twice, because I'm sure Artest would have a much stronger legal team and he wasn't the instigator in all this.

David Stern, he's a piece of garbage. Instead of trying to find some help for Artest, he's gone. Why? Stern, do you give 2 shits about the players that bring the fans to the arena and keep your job? Interesting because the labour deal is coming up soon, and we may have another NHL on our hands.

There will be no hockey this year, by the way. Not sure how they are going to draft but it will be disputed. For those of you unaware, there is a new Lebron James of hockey, Sidney Crosby, and where he goes could also end up in lawsuits due to uncertainty how the draft will be run. Sorry for getting a little off-topic.
Old 11-25-04, 10:56 AM
Maniac

Tilter has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

Dam, do you think this is really needed? Your being a douche like all those fans @ the Pistons game. Another douche thinking he is sticking up for this team, and acting even stupidder than the players themselves.
Old 11-25-04, 01:31 PM
Captain Charisma!

Old 11-25-04, 08:18 PM
Maniac

Tilter has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

Well, who the hell calls up another fan because he supposely hurt this guys team. But a stupid fan, like all those stupid CFL fans who vandalized that kickers home because he missed a FG. Only stupid fans do that. They think they are hardcore, i think they are morons.
Old 11-25-04, 08:35 PM
Rock

johnbaker has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

the only thing artest did wrong was hit the wrong guy.
Old 11-25-04, 11:42 PM
Shark

eddo31 has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

i dont think that i could disagree more here. if he doesnt go into the stands, there is no riot. the guy who throws the beer gets arrested, and we arent dealing with any of this today.

instead, he went into the stands, and essentially started a riot. i am not absolving the fans in any way by saying this, they should be held responsible as well. but it was artests actions, and his actions alone that caused the whole riot, and for that he should be held accountable and he should be punished.

if you want to argue that the punishment was too harsh, then go for it, but to say that he did nothing wrong here except get the wrong guy, that is just wrong.
Old 11-26-04, 07:59 AM
Captain Charisma!

What the hell is the CFL ?

Gosh, I hate the CFL. The way I figure it, as soon as it is out of Toronto, we'll get an NFL team. I know L.A. will need a team soon, making them next, but Ted Rogers also wants a team here. We have a decent sized stadium for it, so that probably puts us also next in line to get a team, can't think of too many U.S. cities with a bigger population that us and no college team. However I do like that the NFL makes damn well sure their teams are ALL stable before expanding. Sorry to go off topic again.
Old 11-30-04, 03:56 AM
Fish

saminex@yahoo.com has less than 10 Rep Points

Yes....Athletes should be able to retaliate against dumbass fans. Say i went to your school and heckled you the whole day, after an hour or say id bet you would try to beat me up.
Closed Thread