The TalkingPoker.com Forum  

Go Back   The TalkingPoker.com Forum > All Things Poker > Poker on TV
Register Blogs Arcade HH Converter Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-11, 12:02 AM
Shark

jdiana86 has less than -50 Rep Points.  Yikes!jdiana86 has less than -50 Rep Points.  Yikes!jdiana86 has less than -50 Rep Points.  Yikes!jdiana86 has less than -50 Rep Points.  Yikes!jdiana86 has less than -50 Rep Points.  Yikes!jdiana86 has less than -50 Rep Points.  Yikes!
Default Rounders 2

Is officially being made. Hell fucking yea
Old 01-12-11, 09:10 PM
<--------- dickhead

stormswa has between 100 and 249 Rep Pointsstormswa has between 100 and 249 Rep Points

I dont see it doing that well this time around. The 1st one did so well because it was one of the 1st poker movies around or at least the one which was the best made. Now though poker is mainstream, almost everyone knows about it and there is sooo much poker on TV you can usually go on tv anytime at night and at least find one poker show on. I dont see what they can really do to this movie to make it so original and different that people will want to watch it. I mean yes I will watch it if it comes out but I know im not going to go to the movies to see it, I will wait for the redbox to get it. And really they want people to go to the movies to watch them thats how they make their money, im sure it will do OK from diehard poker fans but I dont think it will pull in the numbers they want it to in the box office.
Old 01-13-11, 06:48 PM
sports betting guy

omahilo has between 100 and 249 Rep Pointsomahilo has between 100 and 249 Rep Points

yeah I dont see it doing that well either... storm hit on alot of the major points. Also it most likely wont have Matt Damon or Ed Norton in it so that will turn me off as well. I hate when they make sequels and dont have the original actors in it...
Old 01-13-11, 09:53 PM
Shark

jdiana86 has less than -50 Rep Points.  Yikes!jdiana86 has less than -50 Rep Points.  Yikes!jdiana86 has less than -50 Rep Points.  Yikes!jdiana86 has less than -50 Rep Points.  Yikes!jdiana86 has less than -50 Rep Points.  Yikes!jdiana86 has less than -50 Rep Points.  Yikes!

I believe Matt Damon will return...I think it will be interesting to see if/how they will incorporate online poker.
Old 01-14-11, 02:19 AM
Thief

redbank09 has between 100 and 249 Rep Pointsredbank09 has between 100 and 249 Rep Points

Well thats like saying football is so mainstream now that they wont be able to make a good football movie that will do well anymore. Yet every few years they come out with a good one well worth watching. Also, The Fighter just came out based on Boxing and I found it to be one hell of a movie and thats a mainstream sport as well. I just believe wether its mainstream or non-mainstream if they can just find good characters to play the part in a good storyline there is no reson it could not be succesfull.
Old 01-14-11, 08:10 AM
sports betting guy

omahilo has between 100 and 249 Rep Pointsomahilo has between 100 and 249 Rep Points

I would watch it as long as Matt Damon returns. Wonder if it will pick up where it lefted off...
Old 01-14-11, 07:30 PM
<--------- dickhead

stormswa has between 100 and 249 Rep Pointsstormswa has between 100 and 249 Rep Points

I dont think we can really compare competitive sports and poker. Sports like Football have a lot more die hard fans then poker has, like I said the diehard poker fans will go see it but sports like football have a lot more diehard fans then poker has. The thing about rounders is it gave a peek into what its like to play poker professionally but now every poker player or want to be poker players already knows what it takes to play serious poker. We have TV shows, books, magazines etc etc etc where when rounders came out none of that was around. Lets not forget the millions of poker forums now.

If it has a really really really good storyline that might help a lot but like others have said if the cast from the 1st one dont come back I dont see it having a chance.
Old 01-15-11, 05:00 AM
Forum Addict

Wes has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsWes has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsWes has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsWes has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsWes has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsWes has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsWes has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsWes has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsWes has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsWes has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsWes has between 3000 and 3499 Rep Points

I believe this is one of the few times that a poker movie could be a success at the box office. All other sports movies have hit a downturn. This may be to the lack of sports movies in general (especially this year given that the only sports movie of note is a boxing movie regarding a fringe character mainstream).

I think a poker movie has a much better chance of being a financial success than any other sports movie atm. All other sports pretty much fail overseas (except like supremely foreign sports like Invictus which grossed 85 million international as opposed to 32 US). There really has not been an adult male dominated demographic in a while outside of clearly dominated cinemas regarding male demographics (westerns, sci-fi).

Rounders 2 though. Meh. The first movie was OK at best. They would need to seriously revamp the series to make it interesting. Seems very unlikely. At least I would hope they give Mike D. a kid that swindles people for transfer money online.
Closed Thread