The TalkingPoker.com Forum  

Go Back   The TalkingPoker.com Forum > All Things Poker > General Poker Discussion
Register Blogs Arcade HH Converter Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-04, 06:25 PM
Sir Waffles House of Fun

SirFWALGMan has between 50 and 99 Rep Points
Default The Story of my Game

As most of you know I tried out 5/10. Had a bad run of cards. Chickened out and let it mess me up. Not good. I thought I was over that crap. Originally when I first started playing I bought in for $50 to Empire poker. I really did not have alot of knowlege about the game, but as I read I got better and started winning. I however had no clue about variance or discipline in Poker. I would have slight variance, lose a hundred, go up a level to try and get it back, etc.. etc...

I made several great runs this way and then after I had run my $200 up to 1K, I blew it all on 5/10 short handed tables one night. It was very dissapointing and hurt alot. I started reading more and writing a blog and really got a feel for the game. I was doing well. Keeping the discipline up. Six months later I am up to 3K and feeling like nothing can beat me. I then switch to 5/10 and it gets ugly. I am not sure what it was but I just could not win. Looking back I think it was variance and more aggression. Not knowing when to fold. So I slipped back into my old habits and dropped 2K of my bankroll. Played some tables above 5/10 and just kept losing on 5/10. It is these lack of discipline things that made a bad situation (losing 1K) into a horrible one. It was not fun. I went back to 2/4 and could not even win there. Again I think I was having alot of variance issues. Probably playing too much and pushing too hard.

So I have been taking it easy. I have been playing a little 5/10 - Short. Since it has been so lucritive. It has been a great boost to my confidence to beat these too. I built my bankroll back up to 2K and I am feeling good about my game.

It just goes to show you that it is very difficult to handle the inevitable swings in your game. That discipline and bankroll management are as important or more so than how you play. So keep improving your game. But play within your means and when the swings happen do not necessarily question your game if you have been a winning player. Evaluate your play. Keep calm. Switch it up a little.

I fight with these things everytime I go into a downswing. I am not prefect. Far from it. Hope someone can take some solace in my experiences.
Old 12-30-04, 06:35 PM
Maniac

Gutzz has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

Hey Sir,

Could you perhaps include some sort of timeline in this post?

Also, your 2k BR sounds small for the 5/10 limit. If you're worried bout variance, it would make sense to have too large a BR, and not too small.

You read 'gambling theory and other topics'? I believe much of it is about variance (haven't received it yet, still in mail ).

Poker Essays 2 has some interesting chapters on sessions, odds, and variance. Also has lots of other gems in there. Great read.

Anywho, you're playing 5/10 which to me is very high. I feel almost dirty for giving you advice .

Cheers,

Gutzz
Old 12-31-04, 01:19 AM
Adminimus Maximus

Talking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep Points

This is too good to pass up

Got RakeBack?
27% at Full Tilt | 33% at Cake Poker | 30% at Carbon Poker
Old 12-31-04, 01:23 AM
Adminimus Maximus

Talking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep Points

Like most of your posts, Sir, this is a good one. I've been through the same frustrating swings. I imagine we all have.

Keep learning, keep playing, keep improving, and most importantly - keep your head...

Got RakeBack?
27% at Full Tilt | 33% at Cake Poker | 30% at Carbon Poker
Old 12-31-04, 12:50 PM
Sir Waffles House of Fun

Default I admit it

I admit I am playing 5/10 short with too small a bankroll. However I am risking one 2/4 buyin per-day ($100) which limits the small bankroll. If I ever try 5/10 full tables again I think I will be bankrolled up around 5K. However the 5/6 Short game is SOOOOOO juicy so far that I do not see a reason to move up to full tables. I must re-iterate: Anyone with 2nd pair is or two overs or TP weak kicker is going to pay you off to the river. ANYONE!

The timeline for my game is something like this:

Total Time: 7 Months

Busted out my 1K in the first month. Build it up by playing alot of SNGs and
then wanted to try out ring. I did well for a little, and then went too high too fast and burned up.

I then restarted after a week. I played ring games and .50/1. I learned the game at this point and became a better player. I would say the timeline here was:

.50/1:2 months
1/2 :1 month
2/4 :1 month
3/6 :few weeks
5/10 : few weeks

I then lost 1/3 of my bankroll in that two week period. I just could not handle the swings. If you look at my actual stats for that period I was running -.43 BB/100.. but it seemed like alot more. Every night in 5/10 you can either make or drop 400-600 easy. It is just the way 5/10 is, especially if you multi-table.

So in the past few weeks I have built back up to 2K. I am playing 5/10 6-Max over my head, but being careful about it. In the last 14 sessions buying in at $100 I have had one losing session. I have had a few sessions where I make 20-40 bucks, and then a few where I am up 300-400. It has been a welcome breath of fresh air after the past few weeks and hopefully it will continue. I know variance is inevitable but I am going to ride the wave while it lasts. I have been mixing in other games also like 20/2 SNGs, 10/1 O8 SNGs and 25/NL for the fun of it. As always I will keep you posted on my progress.
Old 12-31-04, 01:53 PM
Shark

eddo31 has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

did you win enough in 1 month at 2/4 to have a legit bankroll for 3/6, or did you play slightly shortstacked at that level as well?

it seems like you moved pretty quickly through the levels. is that a result of killing the games, or just realizing that the games are essentially the same difficulty?
Old 12-31-04, 03:49 PM
Sir Waffles House of Fun

Default Bankrolled

I actually think I was on a good run. I always waited until I had 300 BB to go up a level. I was playing alot too. I had 13K hands at 3/6 with a 5/BB 100 record. So I think it was a combo of a good run, playing well, and having the Bankroll. It might have been good for me to stay a few more hands on the 2/4 level. I only had like 3K hands when I moved up, but 3/6 was friendly too.
Old 12-31-04, 04:18 PM
Shark

eddo31 has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

alright, that sounds pretty reasonable. its good to see that you did wait to get a correct bankroll for the level before making the jump, and that you are recognizing how being on a good run of cards definitely helped you out.

good luck with the full time convcersion to 5/10.
Closed Thread