The TalkingPoker.com Forum  

Go Back   The TalkingPoker.com Forum > All Things Poker > General Poker Discussion
Register Blogs Arcade HH Converter Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-16-08, 04:46 PM
Rock

hackers238 has between 250 and 499 Rep Pointshackers238 has between 250 and 499 Rep Pointshackers238 has between 250 and 499 Rep Points
Default WA/WB flop situations and the merits of checking

Hey All,

I've been reading some interesting stuff lately about this tactic, and I'm wondering the general consensus on it. (This is relating to FR, of course, specifically NL25 for me)

Here's an example of what I'm thinking about:

100BB effective stacks, villain has you covered. Villain limps from MP2, you raise to 5 BB in CO with AK. Blinds fold and MP2 calls. Villain is unknown, but you suspect he is a donk.

Flop (13BB): A83, checked to you.

Generally, I bet this all day long. CB when I miss and CB when I hit, because it's unreadable. But I feel now like I should check this in position more. The flop is very dry and so it's WA/WB. It's very unlikely the turn card will improve either of us, villain's most likely drawing dead with a2c, drawing to 2 outs with a PP, 3 outs with Ax, or already ahead of me with a set or some whack 2pair. If I bet, I'm folding all hands I'm ahead of, called by most hands that are slowplaying sets, and confused when I'm c/r-ed.

If I get c/r-ed I may have the best hand (pretty much only beating a bluff, but a bluff is a decent move here), but more often than that I won't. I will probably need to fold.

So I would check here and then go for 2 streets of value assuming villain checking on the turn and river, and consider myself commited to this pot.

Thoughts?

Note to Self - Play ABC Poker.