The TalkingPoker.com Forum  

Go Back   The TalkingPoker.com Forum > All Things Poker > General Poker Discussion
Register Blogs Arcade HH Converter Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-30-05, 12:56 AM
Maniac

BDMK has between 10 and 49 Rep Points
Default Poker Study Resources?

what have you/would you/will use to help improve your game?

let me start with myself, and i'll divide it in some general categories...

-books: when i started to play almost a year ago, harrington on holdem (HOH) was barely out in print. i read then the almost obligatory super system, the original 1970s version, and took the advice within for what it's worth...then, luckily, i got my hands on HOH vol 1, and later on vol 2, and havent looked back. i also have perused, more for entertainment purposes than anything, mcmanus' acct of his participation in the 2000 main event (positively fifth street).

-poker sim software: IMHO sims can, and should, only be used at the very beginning, and not more than just help (hopefully) instill some basic good habits in a player-namely, patience, discipline, and self-control. i dont believe that such a complex, non-purely-technical, game as texas holdem can, as yet at least, be reproduced well by a software app. oh, and i used ddpoker, as opposed to the old favorite wilson turbo, and was pretty happy with it.

-DVDs/tapes: i havent used any, and am personally not inclined towards this study tool in general. of course, everyone should do what works best for them...

-other/misc: since tourney NLHE is my exclusive area of interest poker-wise, but i limit my involvement to buck buyins and entry-level sats to big events, i have made it my habit to regularly watch, frequently in their entirety, the highest-level buyin tourneys on stars (100/150/300 bux, as well as the weekly/monthly big one). i've found this to be a very useful, not to mention scot-free, educational resource. at least for me.

ok, thats it from me for now...how about the rest of you guys?

EDIT: alright, i hate that this got pushed way back by 1-2 post pumpers yesterday. i really would like to know what others around here find/found useful to improve their game...so pls guys, share.

Last edited by BDMK; 11-30-05 at 06:19 PM.