The TalkingPoker.com Forum  

Go Back   The TalkingPoker.com Forum > All Things Poker > General Poker Discussion
Register Blogs Arcade HH Converter Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-04, 11:19 PM
Rock

Defendant has between 50 and 99 Rep Points
Default How to play 2 pair in O8B?

Im playing O8B fairly frequently, usually 2-4 halfkill or 3-6. The one big trouble hand Ive been running into is two pair. How do you guys play them? Check call? Aggressive? Or just plain fold into action?

Defendant
Old 12-05-04, 11:28 PM
Maniac

Kidd7138 has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

If I flop two pair and the board isn't suited or have an easy straight draw I'll usually play somewhat aggressively. Once any kind of draws hit I'll usually call if there are only a few people in the hand. If there's 4-5 people in the hand and one or two of them are betting very aggressively I'd get out of the hand quickly.
Old 12-05-04, 11:56 PM
Banned

BrianSwa has between 100 and 249 Rep PointsBrianSwa has between 100 and 249 Rep Points
Default i agree

I agree it all depends on what the board looks like.
Old 12-06-04, 12:30 AM
sports betting guy

omahilo has between 100 and 249 Rep Pointsomahilo has between 100 and 249 Rep Points

also depends on if its top 2 pair or bottom 2 or top and bottom because if you have bottom 2 and someone has top 2 your drawing all but dead for a FH unless u hit the card your not sharing.
Old 12-07-04, 10:40 AM
Captain Charisma!

GeoffM has between 100 and 249 Rep PointsGeoffM has between 100 and 249 Rep Points

I'll normally bet out if I have top pair and another pair and see what happens. If I get a bunch of callers, I usually start checking and possibly considering a fold depending on the board. Two pair is relatively weak and unless you can get your house it won't win pots 9/1-0 times, losing to a straight, flush, or set.
Old 12-07-04, 10:54 AM
Shark

eddo31 has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

you hav eto play two pair very cautiously, in general. the only times that i am particularly agressive with 2 pair is when i have top two, and there are no straight or flush possibilities out there.

in addition, you have to think about the low half of the pot. if you have the low locked up, then your two pair is dfinitely worth betting. but if you are betting your two pair whehn there is a low possible, and you dont have the low, you are just throwing away money.
Old 12-07-04, 11:11 AM
Proud TeamSWA Member

ChipFish has between 250 and 499 Rep PointsChipFish has between 250 and 499 Rep PointsChipFish has between 250 and 499 Rep PointsChipFish has between 250 and 499 Rep Points

I would think that at the 3/6 level, you do not have that many callers preflop. Basically, you are assuming a level of competency from your opponents.
With that said, You can be aggressive but faced with a re-raise you have a decision to make.
Perhaps this time you can lay it down, maybe next time don't.
With a safe board (Read, no flush, no straight, your only worry at the moment is a set.)
Keep in mind that your opponent knows this too. Does he even have a set?
Does he even have 2 pair? Maybe he is just drawing, and maybe still he is just making a play.

Although it is wise to fold when you think you are beaten, sometimes a re-raise is called for too.