The TalkingPoker.com Forum  

Go Back   The TalkingPoker.com Forum > All Things Poker > General Poker Discussion
Register Blogs Arcade HH Converter Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-05, 05:37 PM
Fish

savoryyoda has less than 10 Rep Points
Angry a win that became a loss: not getting paid after winning a prop bet

A few weeks ago I was playing in a $20 turbo tournament on Ultimatebet.com. About 20 minutes in, an observer (ILLPOKERTWO) asked if anyone wanted to make a bet on whether or not they could cash in the tourney. Feeling like gambling (I was playing a turbo after all) I agreed to his somewhat skewed odds (4:1 for $25). We exchanged real names (needed for any transferring of cash) and I went to work. He watched me for about an hour, throwing out the occasional 'nh'.

As I closed in on the money, he stopped talking and when I cashed I couldn't find him on-line. I tracked him down a few days later and asked about our bet. He said he was only joking and that he refused to pay. Since that time, I've been haunting him on-line through ultimatebuddy, showing up and badmouthing his reputation. It's petty, but I can't seem to feel any guilt given his actions. When I wrote to Ultimatebet to see if there was any record or support that the site could offer they responded:

Dear Mr. Johnson,

We do not encourage this kind of deals in our tables. We are truly sorry if the other person did not complete his/her part, but any arrangement you do is your personal irresponsibility and we cannot take part in it.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Daria
Customer Service

Now, I don't really care that UB doesn't offer any support, but I took offense to this situation being my "personal irresponsibility". But all this brings me to my current situation. I'm clinging to my bitterness towards both ILLPOKERTWO and UB. Am I caring too much about a $100 bet made with a stranger? Should I just forget about it? (Especially considering that I played better poker because of the added incentive of the bet-finishing 6th) At this point, I can't think of much else to do.

Are there any suggestions or comments?
Old 11-29-05, 05:41 PM
Calling Station

chrisash has less than 10 Rep Points

dont make a side bet with anyone unless you know them!!!!!!!
thats the only help i can give you cause you never know if they are going to pay if you win.
Old 11-29-05, 05:42 PM
Banned

BrianSwa has between 100 and 249 Rep PointsBrianSwa has between 100 and 249 Rep Points
Default interesting

this is a interesting situation you got yourself into, pretty much you just have to forget about it really there is nothing you can do. I wouldnt even bother hassling him about it dosent seem worth my time. Side bets happen all the time and im sure you arnt the 1st person to ever get the short end of it. Like you said you cant really blame UB for not getting involved in it.
Old 11-29-05, 07:10 PM
Maniac

BDMK has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

always rely on something/someone from position of authority to help enforce any side bets, chops, deals etc. (in this case, the poker site support)

else, forget it. you're just wasting your time and giving yourself false hope.

btw, what you're doing now could be seen by some as harrasment, so if i were you, i'd quit it...don't make bad things worse unnecessarily.