The TalkingPoker.com Forum  

Go Back   The TalkingPoker.com Forum > Off Topic > Sports
Register Blogs Arcade HH Converter Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-04, 02:11 AM
Donkey

Chutups has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

I agree the Andruw Jones is way better than Bernie Williams, but I wouldn't go to say he is the best CF. Although he is in the upper echelon, I rather have JIm Edmonds and Carlos Beltran over Jones. But I do think he's the best defensive CF in the league.
Old 11-13-04, 03:06 AM
oscar the grouch

junYUN has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

yes, thats what i mean, the best center fielder in the game, not the best HITTING center fielder, the best fielding.
Old 11-13-04, 05:26 AM
Maniac

jimmytheg has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

What I said was that Andruw Jones was equivilant to bernie williams at the plate, not in the field. So work on your fucking reading comprehension before you flame me. And career wise bernie is on average better than jones in every hitting category except for home runs, so maybe i was wrong...hes not even the equivilant of bernie. Whether you want to believe it or not, there is more to hitting than home runs.

I don't argue that Jones is the best defensive center fielder in the league, but he is most definately NOT the best overall cf. I would much rather have Beltran.

I was obviously kidding about half the league hitting 40 home runs...but Giambi still only hit .250 in 2003, and his future worth has to be questionable....that shouldnt be hard to accept.

And you talk about seeing a trend with those Yankee stats....yes I do see a trend. I see a team that has lost its dominance in the division. I see that their divison lead at the end of the year was smaller every year, even though their win totals were basically the same. I see that the new ownership of the Red Sox has closed the gap. And I also see the regular season dominance as you call it hasnt translated to championships. Which is why they are paper champions...

So what has steinbrenner actually produced? signing overpaid, selfish, bad clubhouse guys, who won't perform when it really matters..... having a horrendously thin starting staff, a bullpen that could only depend on 1 guy in the postseason, and almost no bench players......basically the exact opposite team model than what the championship Yankees were.
Old 11-13-04, 04:45 PM
oscar the grouch

talk about reading comprehension...i AM contradicting the fact that bernie is as good as andruw at the plate. bernie is in the twilight of a great career, and to compare their career stats is fucking retarded (but hey maybe you are) because bernie won't put up anywhere near those numbers anymore.. but jones is still young enough to make strides in his plate numbers. yes i know there is more to hitting than home runs, but i also know that hitting 35 homers and driving in 100 runs, plus playing not just gold glove center field but the best center field in the majors -- makes andruw jones a HUGE player to pickup -- definatly NOT just another over-the-hump-bernie.

also no-one said shit about the red sox not being a good team, we basically stated that the yankees will still be a dominant team. god you red sox fans sure get defensive about the yankees, get the fuck over the last 100 years cry baby. yeah it must suck for the yankees since it's been a massive 4 years since they won the world series...what a shithole.

yes the yankees have plenty of overpaid, selfish players -- but they will still go out and sign at least 2 big names this off-season, have another great season, and get in the playoffs for the ump-teenth time. take a second to pull theo epsteins cock out of your mouth and realize that the bosox arent gods gift to baseball.
Old 11-13-04, 06:37 PM
Donkey

Chutups has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

Yankee and Redsox fans argueing, I love it.
Old 11-14-04, 05:50 PM
oscar the grouch

not a yankees fan, just not an idiot
Old 11-15-04, 08:08 AM
Captain Charisma!

GeoffM has between 100 and 249 Rep PointsGeoffM has between 100 and 249 Rep Points

I hate to get involved in any disputes on this, but I happen to believe Jim Edmunds is the best defensive CF in baseball. The guy can catch balls over his shoulder routinely. Jones is a fabulous defensive CF, but I just give the nod to Edmunds based on the absolutely unbelievable catches he has been making the past few years.
Old 11-15-04, 04:14 PM
oscar the grouch

jim edmonds actually had the worst fielding percentage of the three gold glove outfielders this year, at .988. his leaping home run saving catches are what reeled in the glove for him, but jones gets to a lot of balls that he doesn't HAVE to leap for because he has great instincts
Old 11-16-04, 10:12 AM
Sir Waffles House of Fun

SirFWALGMan has between 50 and 99 Rep Points
Default Ya!

Living in Boston for the past 35 years (My Whole Life!). This Rocks! The Yankee series was AEWSOME, and the STL one was just boring but the end result was unbeleivable!
Old 11-16-04, 10:13 AM
Sir Waffles House of Fun

SirFWALGMan has between 50 and 99 Rep Points
Default In Theo We Trust?

Until he proves otherwise I trust Theo to rebuild the team even better than it is now.
Old 11-16-04, 10:37 AM
Captain Charisma!

GeoffM has between 100 and 249 Rep PointsGeoffM has between 100 and 249 Rep Points

Looks like Delgado may be headed to NY. Did you know the Elias Spprting Bureau ranked him the #1 player in baseball. Fat chance. I live in Toronto and I can assure you he is not. He had decent numbers this year in an injury plagued season but he had a soft average by his standards.
Old 11-16-04, 02:27 PM
Shark

eddo31 has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

the only problem with edmonds is that he tries to make routine plays look difficult, and difficult plays look spectacular. i think that he is a great center fielder, but i would take andruw jones over him every day of the week in the field. jones makes difficult plays look easy, and he makes spectacular plays look difficult, and i would much rather have that.

edmonds is a better hitter though, so as overall players i would take edmonds.
Old 11-16-04, 02:28 PM
Shark

im not sure what the people over at elias are thinking if they have him ranked number one. maybe it is a big conspiracy theory. elias is based in boston, and they want to lure the yankees into another huge, awful contract. i doubt it though.

delgado can hit, but cant do anything else particularly well. there are probably a half dozen guys that i would take over him this year alone.
Old 11-16-04, 08:09 PM
Maniac

Kidd7138 has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

It doesn't really matter what they were thinking, Elias uses a formula that spits out the player rankings. It does heavily weigh the past two seasons, so Delgado's high ranking is more a result of his monster 2003 season.
Old 11-17-04, 01:05 AM
Shark

true, they just use a formula to spit out rankings, but they were the ones that developed the formula, so their thought process in developing it must be slighlty flawed if delgado is the top ranked player. they need to make some sort of readjustment to the formula so that their rankings make sense in a rational world. i dont think that any decision maker in baseball would tab delgado as the number one free agent out there (although there are many that might make him their number one target). it taints any other rankings that they create, and thus is bad for elias in many ways.

i know that delgado is a great player, but a first baseman who is past his prime and is not great defensively should never be considered the top free agent on the market, especially in a year when players like beltran are out there to be had.
Old 11-17-04, 05:29 PM
oscar the grouch

i think it's pretty safe to say that everyone knows while delgado is one of the top free agents in this crop, he is certainly not the best, maybe not even in the top 5. beltran is the clear cut best with that monster postseason. only thing that worries me is he only hit .260 in the regular season, and it seems like no-one ever focuses on that.
Old 11-17-04, 08:47 PM
Maniac

Kidd7138 has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

His low batting average this year was largely a result of bad luck on balls in play. On balls in play he hit .265 as opposed to a career .313 average when he put the ball in play. The more important thing is how his plate discipline has improved since he entered the league, leading to 92 BBs and a .367 OBP this year, those numbers are more important than his unusually low batting average. Combine his improving discipline with the 35+ HR power, and the great defense he provides at one of the most demanding positions, and thats why hes the top FA on the market this year.
Old 11-18-04, 01:07 AM
Maniac

He is most certainly not the top free agent on the market this year, value or ability wise. I think it is safe to say that Beltran takes that title
Old 11-18-04, 01:14 AM
oscar the grouch

he was referring to beltran
Old 11-18-04, 01:27 AM
Maniac

doh......my bad.........boozin fool that i am