The TalkingPoker.com Forum  

Go Back   The TalkingPoker.com Forum > Off Topic > Sports
Register Blogs Arcade HH Converter Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-04, 11:42 PM
WA's most wanted

2Tone has between 1500 and 1999 Rep Points2Tone has between 1500 and 1999 Rep Points2Tone has between 1500 and 1999 Rep Points2Tone has between 1500 and 1999 Rep Points2Tone has between 1500 and 1999 Rep Points2Tone has between 1500 and 1999 Rep Points2Tone has between 1500 and 1999 Rep Points2Tone has between 1500 and 1999 Rep Points2Tone has between 1500 and 1999 Rep Points2Tone has between 1500 and 1999 Rep Points2Tone has between 1500 and 1999 Rep Points
Default Congratulations Sox!

Great headline on Boston.com

AT LAST!

Pigs can fly, hell is frozen, the slipper finally fits,
and Impossible Dreams really can come true.
Old 10-28-04, 12:26 AM
Calling Station

brokeagain has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

we're still 25 up on em, i guess we gotta let them win once every 86 years
Old 10-28-04, 02:42 AM
Shark

eddo31 has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

nice math brokeagin, you might want to go back and check the historical record on that one.

the fact is, it doesnt matter how many rings you have overall, all that matters is who won it this year. it holds true for the celtics, who havent won shit since the 80s as it does for the yankees.

i am absolutely ecstatic about this. the red sox were the best team in baseball heading into this season, and they are the best team at the end. it finally is nice for it to work out that way.
Old 10-28-04, 04:11 AM
Maniac

jimmytheg has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

Yeah, it sure seemed like you were LETTING us win when we came back and made you have the biggest playoff collapse in history. Just think about that....worst collapse in playoff history, by your good ole Yankees.

Never again will we hear that god-damned 1918 chant, or the who's your daddy (cause we are your daddy right now, until you smack us back and beat us)...

Yankees= Paper Champions
Red Sox = Best TEAM in baseball, 2004 World Series Champions
Old 10-28-04, 07:00 AM
Maniac

TajaUk has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

Was worth staying upto 5am to see them win the World series and finally drop the jinx! it was a poor series tho for in terms of standard of play and excitment but whos cares they won.
Old 10-28-04, 07:24 AM
Fmr. Resident Asshole

Aequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsAequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsAequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsAequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsAequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsAequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsAequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsAequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep Points

Leave it to the Red Sox to actually get to the World Series and make it a boring, shitty dance.

Ha.

Congrats Boston - Philadelphia needs baseball excitement.
Old 10-28-04, 08:45 AM
Captain Charisma!

GeoffM has between 100 and 249 Rep PointsGeoffM has between 100 and 249 Rep Points

It's a shame they can't keep this team together. The list of free agents is long and key players will be lost:

Pedro (Yankees?)
Lowe (Yankees?)
Cabrera
Varitek
Old 10-28-04, 09:06 AM
Maniac

As a diehard Sox fan, i gotta respond to the sox threads, and talk about the team...that being said:

Vtek will be resigned, unless he asks for WAY too much, which doesnt seem likely given his character.
Cabrera is also a must-sign, and given that he spent his career in Montreal before this magical Series run, its a good bet he will resign for somewhere around the 7, 8 million a year mark...for only 3 years max. The Sox have two great SS prospects in the upper minors, and they think at least 1 will be ready for the 06 season

Lowe is a goner, after this postseason his price has been jacked up, Scott Boras is his agent, and we are not going to give him big money. After watching this guy for years, there is no way the Sox will give him a huge deal....way,way, too inconsisten. Remember, before the playoffs started Lowe wasnt even going to be in the rotation. It took mayhem in the Yankee series for him to even get a shot...which he definately took full advantage of, and someone is going to overpay him because of it.

Pedro could come back, but only for a big paycut (he made 17 mil this year). Hes on the downside of his career, and if he does want too much money, the Sox will go out and get Pavano, who has much more upside over the next few years.

This Sox team isnt going anywhere folks...the new owners aren't scared to open the checkbook, and the GM will always fill out a deep solid roster
Old 10-28-04, 09:22 AM
Captain Charisma!

GeoffM has between 100 and 249 Rep PointsGeoffM has between 100 and 249 Rep Points

Pedro will get the money, no doubt from a team like the Cards or Yankees. Lowe, I feel, may head to someone like the Angels.

Another team that may look to get some help are the Mets and Phillies. The Mets have been a mess and just want to make the playoffs, where anything can happen. The Phillies are trying to break the Braves run of division titles, and pitching can never hurt.

The crop is ripe this year. Where will Beltran go? Glaus? Radke? Ortiz? List goes on and on.
Old 10-28-04, 09:26 AM
Maniac

Ortiz isnt a free agent, we resigned him during the year...im assuming you were talking about David Ortiz that is
Old 10-28-04, 09:29 AM
Captain Charisma!

No, Russ Ortiz. Sorry about that.
Old 10-28-04, 09:41 AM
Maniac

The Cards are a mid-market team that is gonna be handcuffed because they signed Rolen and Pujols to monster deals. Anaheim is actually a place that Gammons and other pundits feel is the likely place Pedro will end up if he doesnt resign.

Lot of chatter that Beltran could end up with the Cubs, but he very well might resign too
Old 10-28-04, 10:03 AM
Captain Charisma!

The Cards may be a mid-market team, but they almost certainely made loads of cash by playing 8 post-season home games.
Old 10-28-04, 04:51 PM
Maniac

Tilter has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

Its amazing. I didn't think they could do it but they did. Nomar was probably jinxing them the past couple years.

Also, Nomar gets a RING as well for being apart of the regular season team I believe.
Old 10-28-04, 10:31 PM
Maniac

I dont know if he gets a ring...but the team voted him a full playoff share, which was a nice gesture.
Old 10-28-04, 10:39 PM
Shark

nomar doesnt get a ring, because he wasnt a part of the team at the end of the year. he does get a full share though, because the team voted it that way. very classy move.

as for the free agents, i think that varitek will definitely be back. i also think that pedro will be back. i think he likes playing in boston, and that he thrives on the atmosphere, and that that is worth something to him. you cant find that anywhere but boston and new york, and i dont think that he really wants to go to new york.

cabrera and lowe are probably gone, and to be honest, we dont need them that much. hanley ramirez should be ready in 2006, and he will do a very good job, very cheap. i worked for one of the sox farm teams when hanley was there, and he was by far the most impressive player i saw al season. just loads of talent, and while he had some maturity issues in the past, from what i understand he i over those issues. we only need a short term replacement at shortstop, not a long term solution, and we would have to give cabrera more money and more years than he is worth to the team. lowe has been incredibly valuable to the sox for a few years now, but he will get overpaid by someone, and we will not match a huge offer for him.
Old 10-29-04, 12:48 AM
Maniac

I think the Sox will make an effort to get Cabrera back for 2 years, possibly with an option for the 3rd. Especially if they can get him for 6 or 7 mil. Hanley is the talk of the board on SOSH, concerning minor leaguers, but what about next year? And it's tough to just pencil a guy in for 2 years from now...what if he isnt ready, or gets hurt.

I think Cabrera was a monster part of this team, and I hope he doesnt go somewhere else. He should be affordable, and he must LOVE it here after being stuck in Montreal for his whole career. I really think he's coming back.
Old 10-29-04, 01:10 AM
Shark

to be honest i dont think that cabrera i going to be that affordable. i think we would be talking about 8 mil a year for three years at least, which really is a bit high.

i know that it is tough to bank on minor leaguers to step in at any specific point in the future, but the sox have four legitimate shortstop prospects waiting in the minors. now i know that a couple of them are a ways away, but having that many good options for the future suggests that we should go for a short term fix, and then if in 2 years we realize that none of the other guys will work out, then we go out and get a top free agent, or at least we get a great defensive guy.

i really believe that hanley is the real deal, especially because he has had to deal with some adversity on the way up, and he got by it. i have played pretty high level baseball, both with and against a number fo guys who were first round picks in the draft, and hanley is so far above any of those guys it just doesnt seem fair. he will make it in the bigs, i just hope that it is for us.
Old 10-29-04, 02:14 AM
Maniac

Let's say Cabrera goes, which I really hope doesn't happen, but let's say he does. Who do you think we will replace him with? Pokey? Or someone from another team?
Old 10-29-04, 02:19 AM
Shark

omar vizquel, jose valentin and barry larkin are the three names that i ahve heard thrown around. i dont think larkin has much left in the tank, but the other two cold be valuable players on a very good team. all of them are veterans who know how to play the game, and vizqual and valentin both have excellent defensive reputations to go along with decent offensive skills.

julio lugo was also a name i heard thrown around, but i am not sure that the devil rays will let him go as a non tender guy.

if the sox had to use pokey as the everyday shortstop i think that would be a huge hole in the lineup,but with how good the rest of the roster is i think they might be able to overcome it. i wouldnt want to have to try though
Old 10-29-04, 08:35 AM
Captain Charisma!

Pedro wants nothing to do with being a #2 starter. Lets see, Atlanta, Dodgers, Yankees, the money will be elsewhere and I don't think the Sox have a #1 starter position available.

His career record in Boston was 117-37, .
Old 10-29-04, 11:27 AM
Shark

i really hope that pedro is going to stick around, and fo rsome reason i think that he will, but if he doesnt i hope that his brilliance here doesntget lost.

as geoffm said, 117-37 is just absurd.

i dont think that atlanta will be on the list of suitors. they have had some serious cutbacks since ted turner got ousted and aol/time warner came in. i dont think that they can afford him. i could see pedro going back to the dodgers, unless he holds a grudge against them for trading them at te beginning of his career. they thought that there was no way that he could hold up for more than a couple of years, and while they were right in some regards, they were definitely wrong overall. the angels will also be suitors, but you have to wonder when the money is going to dry up out there. they have been spending like its going out of style, and they have a couple free agents they have to worry about themselves this offseason (glaus primarily).

as for the yankees, i am not sure that i see that as the best fit. pedro does not have many friends in their clubhouse, and sure everything would be water under the bridge once he joined the team (like it was for clemens), i am not sure that he has an interest in playing there. i believe that pedro is one of the smartest, most analytical athletes i have ever seen, and that he has continually dropped the possibility of going to the yankees as a scare tactic. i think it is just a bargaining chip, and that when the dust settles he will not sign with them.

when he told ortiz earlier in the year that boston was the best place for him to sign, i took that as a sign that pedro would also be back. that there woudl be a lot of posturing, but that in the end pedro would take some sort of hometown discount.

maybe i am just being naive because i dont want to see pedro in another uniform.
Old 10-29-04, 12:32 PM
Shark

i just caught gammons on sportscenter, and he said that he feels that pedro will be coming back to boston. i hope that his instincts are right in this situation.
Old 10-29-04, 02:29 PM
Captain Charisma!

I just don't see Pedro being happy playing second fiddle to Schilling. Schilling is signed for 2 more years with an option for 2007, so he'll be doing that for at least 2 more years, when he is in the twilight of his career.

Everyone knows the Yankees need pitching, and have money, just seems like a logical fit to me.
Old 10-29-04, 09:47 PM
Shark

i think that one of pedros quotes earlier this postseason sheds light on the number one versus number two starter thing.

he said that on the day he is pitching, he is number one, and that he doesnt care about the other days. i know that he is an extremely proud man, and that pride can make you do dumb things (not that signing with the yankees would be dumb for him), but i dont think that he has to be the clear cut ace.
Closed Thread